Health and Safety      College of Science and Engineering (COSE)

Image: Pictures representing the depts of the College of Science and Engineering



The College of Science and Engineering has a small fleet of vehicles available for field trips and work-related business. All drivers must meet requirements outlined in the SFSU Vehicle Use Policy to drive any State vehicle.


COSE Vehicle Use Policy


This policy covers vehicles and personnel affiliated with the College of Science and Engineering (COSE). The COSE follows CSU and SFSU policies and guidelines, but may choose to be more restrictive if deemed necessary.

  •  Vehicle Drivers

A person eligible to apply for Approved State Vehicle Driver status must be a current SFSU employee paid through “General Fund” or “ORSP Grant” funds. To drive a COSE vehicle, the person must also be affiliated with the COSE and have Department Chair or Director approval. 

“Non-Employee” students (which include those paid solely with stipends) or any type of volunteer may NOT operate a COSE vehicle or drive on state business, including field trips.

An eligible SFSU employee includes the following ONLY:

  • Paid faculty and staff
  • Paid student employees and research staff

Note:   Effective immediately, per SFSU policy, no “approved” or “acknowledged” volunteer employee* may drive a state vehicle or drive on state business.*even with “Volunteer Acknowledgement Form” #156E-1.

An “eligible” employee may apply to be an Approved State Vehicle Driver if and only if the following criteria are met:

  • Current California driver’s license
  • Age 18 or over
  • Good driving record (DMV Employee Pull Notice Program)
  • Current defensive driving certificate
  • Department Chair or Director approval
  • Steps to State Vehicle Driver Status

New employees, as well as employees taking Defensive Driving Fundamentals online training for the first time, must complete and submit the following paperwork.
Step 1: Complete the two required forms below

Form #1

Request for Approved State Vehicle Driver Status  (signed by Dept Chair or Director)

Form #2

Authorization for Release of Driver Record Information” – Form INF 1101


Employees fill only the top half of the form (Name, Driver’s License No., Date, Signature).

Step 2: Complete the online Defensive Driving Course
Step 3: Forward completed documents to Safety and Risk Management
Scan and e-mail copy of the forms and the Certificate of Completion for the Defensive Driving Course or fax them to the attention of Brenda Lee at 415-338-0597.  Employee’s department must maintain all originals.
Note:   The certification process is incomplete if online training is accomplished without submittal
of the other two required forms.


  •  Online Defensive Driver Training

Before beginning the online training, it is strongly advised that you refer to the Visual Tutorial for detailed instructions on how to proceed. Course completion status reports are received once a week on Mondays. The database of State Vehicle Drivers is updated and forwarded to Fiscal Affairs Travel division once a week on Mondays.

The online training consists of the following steps:

  • Running a computer check through to verify that your computer has the technical system requirements to support the training application.
  • Self-registration for the course at
  • Launching the Defensive Driving Fundamentals course.
  • Taking the course test.
  • Printing the Certificate of Completion for your department records.

These are the designated departments that handle vehicle reservations and records.

  • Geoscience Office: campus vehicles only
  • Biology Office: campus vehicles only
  • RTC Office: RTC vehicles only

To reserve a vehicle, contact one of the above offices.

  • Verify that you are on the Approved Drivers list
  • Fill out a COSE Vehicle Reservation Form

Before operating the vehicle, walk around it and perform a visual inspection.

  • Check vehicle operation and fill out the “Daily Trip Self-Inspection” form
  • Fill out the vehicle use log located in the glove compartment
  • Report any problems with the vehicle to the designated department
  • Use of Private Vehicle on State Business

The COSE discourages the use of private vehicles for state business, however, SFSU does make provisions for such situations. Check the Safety and Risk Management website Travel and Driving.
Form    “Authorization to Use Private Vehicle on State Business” – Form STD 261 (optional).
Only required of employees that use their private vehicle for State business. Complete Part I of the form. Obtain department Administrator’s signature of approval on Part II. This form must be renewed annually for as long as the employee needs to drive on state business.


State employees may also reference the CSU's State Vehicle Use Policy manual called the CSU: Use of University and Private Vehicles Policy Guidelines(2002) located on the CSU system wide website. (currently under revision)


Contact Information

Office of Risk Management
1600 Holloway Avenue, ADM 252
San Francisco, CA  94132-4170
Phone: (415) 338-2565
FAX: (415) 338-2498




Class Field Trips

Everyone going on a class field trip is required to be pre-approved by the instructor.





Reporting Vehicle Accidents

If you are involved in an accident while on State business, follow the steps outlined in the weblink below for the University’s procedures:
Travel and Driving | How to Report My Auto Accident
• Obtain medical assistance if you or anyone else is hurt
• Do not admit fault or make any promises
• Call the state highway patrol

• You may also phone Risk Management at (415) 338-2565 during normal business hours for assistanceInsurance (ORIM) when damage is less than $500 and no other party is involved. CA State Motor Vehicle Accidents


More Information

For detailed information on the University's policies concerning the use of state vehicles or using personal vehicles for state business, contact the Office of Safety and Risk Management.


SF State Home