This page is designed to help you find answers to the most frequently asked questions about San Francisco State University. Please make use of these links -- they are your fastest pathways to a helpful answer.
- Need help with your SF State ID or SF State password?
- Looking for international student information?
- Interested in applying to SF State?
- What degrees and majors does SF State offer?
- Need information from or about a department?
- Need to find what courses are being offered?
- Need an unofficial or official transcript?
- Looking for non-credit weekend courses, certificate and professional development programs, workshops, online courses and other flexible scheduling options?
- Planning to visit SF State?
- Looking for students, faculty or staff on campus?
- Looking for employment information?
- Need to contact SF State by mail, phone or email?
- Need an SF State Bulletin (Catalog)?
- Have questions or comments about this Web site?
For help with your SF State ID or SF State password, visit the SF State ID, SF State password and login assistance page.
For international student information such as how to apply and other admission requirements, please visit the Future Students Web Site.
If you want to apply to SF State, or if you have questions about admissions requirements, fees, financial aid, or the transfer process, visit our Future Students Web site.
For a complete list of current programs and majors, please visit the Index of Academic Programs.
If your questions do not pertain directly to the campus home page, please direct them to the most relevant department on campus. You can find email, phone and Web sites for academic and administrative departments on the Departments page. Alternatively, you can give our search engine a try or use our convenient online Department Contact Form.
The Class Schedule lists courses and curricula for all academic departments, units, groups, and interdisciplinary and special studies programs offering undergraduate and graduate degrees. The Class Schedule is accessible online:
For information on how to obtain an unofficial or official transcript, please visit the Registrar's Office Web Site.
Looking for non-credit weekend courses, certificate and professional development programs, workshops, online courses and other flexible scheduling options?
SF State College of Extended Learning (CEL) offers hundreds of classes for professional development and personal enrichment. You can take regular University classes without formal admission to SF State. Classes are held on the main campus and at the Downtown Campus.
Visitor Services available online:
- Campus Map
- Campus Tours
- Classroom/Office Locator
- Getting to Campus
- Parking and Transportation
- Photo Tour
- Search the Office/Staff Directory to find them.
Student Phone Numbers
We do not publish student phone numbers because it is a violation of SF State's policy on Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The policy states:
"All student records at San Francisco State University are kept in accordance with the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). The university defines as "directory information" and normally makes public only the following information from a student's record: current enrollment status, class level, major, semesters (or dates) of enrollment, degrees earned, and extra-curricular achievements. The University does not release any other information, including courses, grades, addresses and telephone numbers to the general public unless a student requests it."
- Visit the Human Resources Job Opportunities page for information on Faculty/Administrator Positions and Staff Positions.
- The Career Center's Employment page provides a list of job opportunities for students.
To reach a department or program by mail, address your letter as follows:
The specific department or unit you wish to reach
c/o San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132
You must include the name of the appropriate department or unit. You can also contact us via Registrar webform (registrar.sfsu.edu/help) or call SF State's Directory Assistance at (415) 338-1111. There is no general fax number. Please contact the appropriate department or unit if you wish to send a fax.
The SF State Bulletin provides up-to-date information about University courses, programs, policies, and procedures.
Overall direction for the SF State Web site is guided by the Access Team, University Communications and the Information Technology Services. If you have a question, comment or suggestion regarding the SF State home page, please email email@example.com.
Please note: Although we welcome all types of inquiries, you will get a faster answer regarding applications, transfers, financial aid, or other related matters if you contact the appropriate department.