Residential Life { Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management }

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Check out the updated Community Living Standards.

Frequently Asked Question

For more Frequently Asked Questions regading housing, please refer to the Housing FAQ page.


What if I do not get along with my roommate?

If you find that you are having a difficult time getting along with your roommate, there are a few solutions. One, you can reference your Apartment Living Agreement, a document that the entire apartment sits down and writes with their respective RA at the beginning of the year, commenting on apartment expectations and regulations. Another solution is confronting the behavior in a respectful yet assertive way. Lastly, if you feel as though they cannot get along with each after trying to mediate the situation, our staff is available to conduct a roommate mediation.

If you feel that you are not able to remain in your current room or apartment, speak with your Area Coordinator about options that may be available. Ideally, residents are able to speak to each other and resolve differences. However, if you feel that the differences are too extreme or that your safety or security are a concern, other living arrangements in SF State Housing can be considered in consultation with your Area Coordinator.

Back to top


What is an RA?

Resident Assistants (RAs) are students who have experience living in residential communities and are familiar with what it takes to make the most of your experience here. Your RA has been carefully selected on the basis of his/her ability to show concern for students and to help make your living environment positive and educationally enriching. RAs are trained to serve as community builders, activity advisors, group facilitators, and referral agents. Your RA is someone who can answer your questions. If they can't answer your question, they will refer you to the person who can. Remember, our program exists so you, the resident, will be challenged and supported to learn and grow.

Back to top


What is a Living Learning Community (LLC)?

The Living Learning Communities (LLC) at SF State play a pivotal role in the residential student experience. The primary objective of residential learning and theme housing is to provide an environment where students can explore the interconnected relationship between what is learned and what is lived.

The communities bring together diverse groups of residents with common intellectual, political, and/or social interests. We hope to support the development of residential communities sustained by commitment to intellectual inquiry, personal and collective introspection, and social action.

Moreover, we believe the existence of such communities stimulates critical dialogue within the Residential Community regarding the meaning and function of human difference and group solidarity.

Back to top


Is there a specific residence hall for my major? What if I am undeclared?

There are Living Learning Communities (LLC) for students in the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences, the College of Health and Human Services, the College of Arts and Humanities, the College of Liberal and Creative Arts, and the College of Business. There is also the Science & Technology Theme community for first-time freshman students majoring in science, mathematics, and engineering fields. Science & Technology

Back to top


Where do I pick up my mail?

If you live in Mary Park or Mary Ward Hall, your room key will open your mailbox which is located in the lobby of your respective building. For students in the Towers, Science and Technology Theme Community, and the Village there will be a separate key provided that opens your mailbox, which is located in or near the lobby of your respective building. Mail is delivered Monday through Sunday except for Postal service holidays, and is usually placed in the boxes by 6:00pm. University and Housing correspondence will be sent to your Residential community mailbox. It is important that you check your mailbox on a daily basis.

UPS and UPN residents receive mail directly to their unit by United States Postal services.

Back to top


Where do I go to send mail?

The nearest U.S. Mailbox is on Font Boulevard between Mary Park and Mary Ward halls and is picked up at 10:00am. Check the times posted on the mailbox though as they may change. The nearest Post Office is in the Lakeshore Plaza off of Sloat Boulevard. We are unable to hold packages in our offices or Resident Services Community Desks for UPS, FedEx, etc. to pick up. To access university mail services please contact (415) 338-1515.

Back to top


Can I have packages delivered to the residence halls?

Packages delivered by parcel post or United Parcel Service can be picked up at the Resident Services Community Desk in your community. You will receive an email sent to your University email address notifying you when you have received a package. Your student ID is required when picking up packages. If you do not pick your package up after two weeks from the first notification, the package will be returned to the sender.

UPS and UPN residents receive packages directly to their unit by United States Postal services. If you do not feel comfortable with the possibility of your package being left at your door unattended, you may have your package delivered to 796 Font Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94132. In this case, you will receive an email to your university email address notifying you whent eh package has arrived, and you will be responsible for picking up the package at the Towers Community Desk.

Back to top


Do residents have a curfew? Are there bed checks?

Residents do not have a curfew nor do Resident Assistants (RAs) on duty each evening and weekend as well as during university holidays. RAs conduct rounds in order to ensure that the Residential Life community is safe and that no housing policies are being broken.

Back to top


Who cleans the rooms, suites, apartments?

It is your responsibility to clean your room or apartment throughout the year. It is up to you and you roommates how often you clean. Keep in mind that at the end of the year, you and your roommates are responsible for a thorough cleaning of your residence room or apartment bedroom and common areas. In most buildings, vacuum cleaners maybe checked out from the community desk. If you need other cleaning supplies, you must provide them.

Back to top


What are the policies concerning alcohol?

All residents in the Residential Halls, Science & Technology Theme Community, and the Towers at Centennial Square are under 21 years of age, with the possible exception of some staff members, these facilities should be free of alcohol in accordance with state law. In the Village at Centennial Square, University Park South, and University Park North, the use of alcoholic beverages must be in compliance with California State Law and is limited to those person 21 years of age or older. Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed in public areas (any area outside student rooms). Residents under the age of 21 are not permitted to host in their room guests or residents of any age who are in possession of alcohol. Residents over the age of 21 who host guests, roommates, or residents under the age of 21 in their rooms will have their alcohol dumped out and all non-registered guests will be asked to vacate the apartment. Kegs, other similar over-sized containers, and/or large stockpiles of alcoholic beverages are expressly prohibited in or around the residential community. Possession of alcohol paraphernalia (empty bottles, cans, cocktail shakers, shot glasses, etc.) connotes alcohol consumption and is therefore not permitted in residential community buildings. Possession of a keg, a large stockpile of alcoholic beverages, may result in eviction.

Back to top


What are the policies concerning smoking?

The University is a smoke-free campus. Pursuant to the California State University Chancellor’s Executive Order 599 and the California state law, smoking is prohibited in all state buildings. Smoking is not permitted in any location (student room or common area) in or around the residential community. Smoking is prohibited on University owned or leased property, except for officially posted designated smoking areas.

Please honor designated smoking areas, described online at

Back to top


What kind of job can I get in the residential community?

Undergraduate students can apply to be a Resident Services Assistant (RSA), Resident Assistant (RA), Community Assistant (CA), or Senior Resident Assistant (SRA). Graduate students can apply to be a RSA, RA, CA, SRA, or Assistant Area Coordinator (AAC). For professional staff opportunities, please refer to or

Back to top


How can I get involved with hall government or conduct review board?

Each residential community has a Hall Government that serves as the liaison to RHA. Similar to class representative in high school student organization (i.e. ASB), Hall Government serves as the voice of those in a particular residential community. This is a great opportunity for ANY student resident to get involved! Through this leadership you can serve as an advocate for your peers, create and sponsor events and programs for the community in which you reside. For more information, contact: Any of your building RAs.

The Residential Life Conduct review Board serves a vital role for students in the residential community. The Conduct Review Board helps to identify and uphold the standards of the community in a fair and objective manner. Board members balance the needs of the community with the needs of students in the community without championing one group or person over another. The Conduct Review Board is an opportunity for residents to get involved and help maintain community standards. For more information, contact: Patrick McFall (

Back to top


Do the residence halls have something like ASB?

Each residential community has a Hall Government that serves as the liaison to RHA. Similar to class representative in high school student organization (i.e. ASB), Hall Government serves as the voice of those in a particular residential community. This is a great opportunity for ANY student resident to get involved! Through this leadership you can serve as an advocate for your peers, create and sponsor events and programs for the community in which you reside.

Back to top


What security measures are in place in the residence halls?

Each residential community requires a card swap or key for entrance. Community desks, most of which are 24-hour, have a Resident Services Assistant that checks the keys of individuals entering the buildings to ensure that they are a resident of the community. There are also Resident Assistants (RAs) on duty each evening and weekend as well as during university holidays. RAs conduct rounds in order to ensure that the Residential Life community is safe and that no housing policies are being broken.

Back to top


What do I do if I want a friend to visit for the weekend?

You are permitted to have guests 24 hours a day, with any individual guest limited to ONE monthly visit with a maximum of two consecutive nights per visit. The guest(s) must be accompanied by their host at all times.

The number of residents and guests may not exceed a room or apartment occupancy limit (i.e. 2 person rooms or apartments are allowed a total of 5 people; 4 person room or apartments are allowed a totally of 9 people). All guests are expected to abide by the rules and regulations of the State of California, San Francisco State University, and University Housing.

Should a guest be a disruption to members of the room, apart, floor, or the University staff, a guest may be required to leave the premises.

Back to top


What kinds of policies will I need to follow?

A full list of community standards and expectation may be found in Part III of the License Agreement located at

Back to top


Are there computer labs in the residence halls?

ResNet runs the computer labs for use by residents and their guests. The 24 hour computer lab in Mary Park Hall provides 7 PC’s and 3 Macintosh systems along with a laser printer. The 24-hour computer lab in the Science and Technology Theme Community provides 20 PC’s and a laser printer. The STTC lab is scheduled for classes and events at certain times. Class hours are posted at the lab. A variety of application software is available in both labs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. There is a charge for laser printing.

Back to top


Who supervises the residence halls?

A full-time professional Area Coordinator (AC) oversees each Residential Community. These professionals are skilled in, conflict resolution, advising, crisis intervention, resource referral, and administrative management. They can be contacted through your front desk. These managers supervise a Graduate Assistant, Senior Resident Assistants, and a staff of student Resident Assistants.

Back to top


How many students live in the residence halls?

There are approximately 820 residents that live in Mary Park and Mary Ward Halls, 100 residents that live in the Science and Technology Theme Community, 600 residents that live in the Towers at Centennial Square, 760 residents that live in the Village at Centennial Square, 1,430 (bed space and Apartment Life) residents that live in University Park North, and 420 (bed space and Apartment Life residents) that live in University Park South.

Back to top


Do I have to fully move out during fall, winter, and spring breaks?

License Agreements for the Residence Hall and the Science & Technology Theme Community (STTC) include fall and spring break, but not break. If you plan to stay during this period and live in one of these communities, you will be required to sign an addendum to your License Agreement and make an additional payment. License Agreements for the Towers at Centennial Square (TCS), Village at Centennial Square (VCS), University Park North (UPN), and University Park South (UPS) allow you to stay for fall, winter, and spring breaks. For all communities, you may leave your belongings in your room during fall, winter, and spring breaks.

Back to top


I want to start a student organization. Where do I start?

Student organizations seeking University recognition must register on an annual basis. All student organizations must register during the registration period; for the fall 2012 semester the registration period is August 13, 2012, to September 30, 2012. The spring 2013 semester registration period is January 28, 2013, to February 28, 2013. Student organizations that fail to complete the registration process by the September 30th deadline will not be able to register until the spring 2013 semester. This will result in loss of all student organization campus privileges such as ability to apply for funding from Associated Students, tabling, reserving space on campus and hosting events for the Fall 2010 semester. Student Organization leaders are encouraged to start the registration process early to ensure that the September 30th deadline is met. For more information visit

Back to top


Where can I find a list of events happening in the residential community?

All community desks have a weekly programming calendar with a list of social and educational programs happening within the residential community. You can check out the bulletin board on your floor as well as the Residential Life Facebook page ( for more information about the programs happening in your community

Back to top


Is there a list of campus events somewhere online?

You can visit the SF State University calendar at and the Dean of Students list of upcoming events at

Back to top


I am having a hard time adjusting to college or life away from home. Where can I go to talk to someone?

Every floor has an assigned Resident Assistant (RA) that is more than willing to help you adjust to college and life away from home. Residential Life also offers every resident access to a truly wonderful and successful program, Let’s Talk, to support our residential community. Let’s Talk is brief consultation that is available to all student residents within Residential Life at SF State. It’s informal, confidential, and completely free. Just walk in during the times and at the location listed below. No appointment is necessary and no topic is off limits. Here’s a sample of what students last semester came in to get support for: stress, sadness/depression, adjusting to a new culture, difficulty adjusting to school, academic pressures, family problems, financial struggles, relationship and sexuality concerns. You can also check out the Let’s Talk link at

Back to top


What can I do if I lock myself out of my room or apartment?

If you lock yourself out of your residential hall or apartment (UPS residents go to the Towers Community Desk), you may check out a temporary lockout key from the Resident Services Community Desk. There is one lockout key per room. To ensure only you and your roommate(s) have access to the lockout key, Resident Services will verify your identification and room number prior to issuing the key. Once you have receive a lockout key, you should let yourself back into your room, find your missing key, and immediately return the lockout key to the Resident Services desk. If your lockout key is not returned to the desk within 48 hours of the time you checked it out, an automatic lock change may be initiated for security purposes and $50.00 will be charged to you. We will change the key cores in your room door, and will notify you and your roommate(s) to pick up the new keys at the Resident Services desk.

Residents are provided a total of three courtesy lockouts for the academic year. Any lockouts subsequent of the third lockout will be deemed excessive and for safety and security reasons may warrant a lock change, which will be charged to the resident at a cost of $50.00 per lock change. If you have requested an excessive number of lockout keys, you and your roommate will be required to verify possession of your room keys. Additionally, excessive lockouts may necessitate a meeting with the Area Coordinator due to the increased security risk to the community.

Back to top


What if I live in the Residence Halls, but want to cook a meal?

There is a kitchen in Mary Park Hall (adjacent to the main lobby) that is for the use of residents of Mary Park and Mary Ward Hall. Kitchen cleaning is the responsibility of the people using it. The key for the kitchen may be checked out at the community desk in Mary Park hall.

SF State Home