SFSU was founded in 1899 and named "San Francisco State Normal School," a two-year teacher-training college.
The first class graduated in 1899 and was comprised of 36 women.
The first man was admitted in 1904.
The first bachelor's degree was awarded in 1923.
SFSU has had five names throughout history:
- San Francisco State Normal School (1899-1921)
- California State Teachers College (1921-1935)
- San Francisco State College (1935-1972)
- CSU, San Francisco (1972-1974)
- San Francisco State University (1974-present)
As part of the 23-campus California State University (CSU), SFSU is part of the largest system of higher education in the U.S.
Our school motto is "Experientia Docet" (Experiences Teaches) because of our origins as a teacher-training college.
Our school colors are purple and gold.
Our school mascot is the aligator.