Office of Student Financial Aid

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus


New Hires and Continuing Students


The Student Assistant program is an on-campus work program open to any student who is enrolled in at least half-time units through the regular university or through Extended Learning. Half-time for undergraduates is 6 units and 4 units for graduate students.Prior to the first day of employment, International student must be enrolled in an appropriate units required and must have completed the Federal I-9 process - Federal Employment Eligibility Verification Form in order to start working on any job on campus(example).


Before you can be hired for a Student Assistant job, you need to complete the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) process. To complete the process, come to the Office of Student Financial Aid, One Stop Student Services Building.This process requires the student to present various original documents for verification of the student's eligibility to work in the United States based on the Immigration Reform Control Act of November 6, 1989. Students are informed of the appropiate documents to obtain the EEV-Form (Employment Eligibility Verification Form).


Two pieces of Original Documentation are required:

  1. OIP Referral Form - Office of International Programs

  2. A photo identification that establishes identity. Acceptable documents are: a State-issued driver's license or a State-issued ID card with a photograph, or a student photo identification card.

SPAR (Student Payroll Action Request Form) (example)

Departments should have these forms available for the student to complete. These forms are available from Corporate Express at 1-800-760-3280 - Form SFO911. The Office of Student Financial Aid does not provide SPAR forms to students or employers. Completed forms are submitted to the Payroll Office in order to enter the student on the State Payroll System.


The first day you can begin working is 5 business days prior to the first day of Instruction on the academic calendar. During the academic year, when classes are in session, you are limited to working 20 hours per week. If you have more than one job, the total number of hours per week for both jobs may not exceed 20. During school breaks, you can work up to 40 hours per week. Finals week is not considered a recess period, therefore you are still limited to working 20 hours per week. However, if you have completed all of your academic obligations prior to the end of Finals week, you may make arrangements with your employer to begin working extra hours. The final day a student can work during the Fall semester is the last scheduled final on the academic calendar. The final day a student can work during Spring semester is May 31. The final day a student who was given a less than half-time enrollment exception can work is the last day of instruction on the academic calendar.
Graduating Students can only work up to the last day of finals on that academic calendar.

SF State Home