The Office of Financial Aid will communicate with you through "Student Center" on Gateway and email. Be sure to check both, regularly.
How to Access your Financial Aid Status On Gateway to see your latest financial aid information at SF State, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Watch a short video to learn more about How to Use Gateway.
Fall 2016 Fee Deferment
Good news! Since you are a financial aid applicant, your Fall 2016 tuition is not due now. Financial Aid Fee Deferments will be posted through your Student Center on Gateway. If you have a Fee Deferment, you will see a message in the "Holds & Alerts" section in your Student Center. Tuition will be paid when your financial aid disburses in the Fall 2016 semester. If you have a balance due after your financial aid disburses in the Fall 2016 semester OR If you have NOT accepted financial aid, you must make the payment by September 14, 2016.
Financial Aid recipients can be eligible for a Fee Deferment which delays the payment deadline until financial aid funds have disbursed. You are eligible for a Fee Deferment if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You have anticipated aid showing on your student portal. Anticipated aid could be a grant or an accepted loan.
- You are an active applicant selected for additional verification and you have submitted at least one of the required check list items from your To Do list on your student portal.
- You are a recipient or an active applicant and have a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) hold and have submitted a SAP appeal.
2016-2017 Financial Aid Award Status
Our office already posted the Financial Aid award offers for Fall 2016/Spring 2017 through Student Center on Gateway. Please review your student email or online student portal to review your award status. If you have not received an email notifying you of your financial aid status, please contact our office. (Examples of award status emails sent by the Office of Student Financial Aid include: To Do List email prompting you to provide additional documentation OR award offer email prompting you to review you financial aid package on your portal.)
Middle Class Scholarship
provides a scholarship to undergraduate students with a family annual income of up to $150,000 by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Students will be awarded the Middle Class Scholarship in October of the award year.
- If a different type of financial aid (e.g. loans) has already paid your tuition prior to the disbursement of your MCS, the Bursar's Office will automatically process a refund. You should receive your refund within 1 to 2 weeks.
- If you paid for your tuition out of pocket, then you must request for a refund and submit it to the Bursar's Office located on the first floor of the Administration Building or at One Stop on the first floor of the Student Services Building. You should receive your refund within 4 weeks.
Report Other Resources
Other Resources All students receiving financial aid are required to report other resources: scholarships, fellowships, stipends, Americorps, fee subsidies/waiver or other sources paying tuition. Report these other resources before your financial aid disburses. Read more...