The Office of Financial Aid will communicate with you through "Student Center" on Gateway and email. Be sure to check both, regularly.
Watch a short video to learn more about How to Use Gateway.
Sneak Preview presentation - Spring 2017
Fall 2017 / 2018 Financial Aid Awards
Beginning mid-March, students will be notified of their financial aid award via their SF State email. Once awarded, you may log into your Student Center, view your financial aid, and accept your awards.
Ensure your application is complete by checking the following:
- Check that we have received your application by logging onto your student center and seeing "2017-2018 FAFSA Received" in the holds and alerts section
- Check your e-mail account to see if we have sent you an email regarding items on your Student Center to-do list. All financial aid related to-do list items must be submitted to our office before we can give you an award. Please make sure you turn in all necessary documents as soon as possible.
- Already submitted documents? Please allow 4 weeks for our office to review them. Remember, all to do list items must be submitted before we can offer an award. Pending items will that will delay your awarding process.
- Continue to check your student center and email, as we may be prompted to assign additional follow up documents, which we will post on your student center.
Still haven't submitted a FAFSA or CA Dream App yet?
Students who have missed the March 2 priority deadline are still highly encouraged to apply for financial aid. Please apply as soon as possible!
Summer 2017 Financial Aid
There are several types of financial aid available for students interested in enrolling in summer courses:
State University Grant (SUG): Students who were awarded with SUG during the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 semesters could be eligible for SUG in Summer 2017.
Note: Students who received a Cal Grant may be eligible for a Summer SUG, if their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is 5300 or below.
- Federal Loans: Students who did NOT accept the maximum amount of loans during the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 semesters will be reoffered their remaining loan eligibility.
- Federal Pell Grant: Students who did NOT receive the maximum amount of Pell during the Fall 2016/Spring 2017 semesters will be reoffered their remaining Pell eligibility.
- Parent and Grad PLUS loans: If you would like to pursue a PLUS loan in the summer, please contact our PLUS coordinator, Khushboo Shah at email@example.com.
To be awarded with Summer aid, you must
- Have eligibility for at least one of the three aid types listed above
- Be registered in at least 6 units (undergraduate students) or 4 units (graduate students) during the Summer priority registration.
Note: Students do not get awarded until after they have registered for summer courses.