Modify any semi-permanent signage that is to be posted within a computing facility for an entire semester (15 weeks) or longer according to the standards listed below. Contact DPRC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 82472 for technical assistance.
- Create computer-generated signs (preferably using white paper with black letters) maintaining a minimum of 70% contrast difference between characters/graphics and background.
- Reduce glare by avoiding use of high gloss or laminated products.
- Select a sans-serif font such as Arial and size a minimum of 18 points.
- Size characters and symbols according to viewing distance. Signs mounted 80" or more above the finished floor must have 3" high minimum characters.
- Request Braille representation of sign content on clear DYMOT tape from the DPRC and attach on sign.
- Mount sign so that the height of Braille characters is at 60 inches from the floor, and the floor space below sign is free and clear of obstructions.
- Despite sign quality, be prepared to offer assistance to users with disabilities upon request and convey sign content verbally.