Future Students

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Costs + Financial Aid - Fees + Tuition

Your education costs fall into two categories: registration tuition fees (for instruction and university services) and living costs: housing, food, transportation, personal expenses. The latter costs are the kind you would incur whether or not you went to college.

On This Page . . .

This page contains links that require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. The reader may be downloaded at the following url: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Registration Tuition Fees

Registration tuition fees vary. They depend on whether you are a legal resident of California, how many units you are taking, and whether you are an undergraduate, graduate, or credential student. Students may be eligible to use one of the University's installment plans available through the Bursar's Office. More information and a copy of the installment plan contract are included in each semester's Class Schedule.

Schedule of Tuition and Fees

For information on tuition and fees for students, please visit the Bursar's Office website at:

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fees will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).

Back to top

Nonresident Tuition Fees

In addition to the tuition fees in the applicable charts above, out-of-state and international students must pay non-resident tuition fees of $396 (Fall 2017) per unit or fractional unit.

For information about Non-Resident Fees and International students, please visit the Bursar’s Office website at:

Certain nonresident students who have attended high school in California for a minimum of three years and have graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent High School Equivalency Certificate issued by the California Department of Education) may be exempt from tuition fees. For more information on residency requirements, see the Residency web page or visit the One Stop Student Services Center in the Student Services Building.

Back to top

Frequently asked Questions About Establishing Residency

For complete information about establishing residency, please visit our residency page at www.sfsu.edu/future/apply/residency.html.

Back to top

Frequently Asked Questions about Exemptions from Nonresident Tuition Fees

What is AB 540?

Assembly Bill 540 is a law that was passed in 2001 by the California legislature and was recently amended with AB 2000. The laws were written for students who are undocumented or a U.S. Citizen/Permanent Resident who attended High School in California. If these students meet ALL of the following criteria, they are able to pay ‘resident fees’ instead of ‘non-resident fees’ if they attend a CA public institution of higher education.

  1. Attend a California high school for a minimum of three or more years; OR
  2. Attained credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school course work and attended a combination of elementary, middle and/or high schools in California for a total of three or more years AND
  3. Graduate from a California high school and pass the California High School Proficiency Exam OR get a GED (General Equivalency Diploma or Graduate from a California high school or the equivalent (for example: pass the California High School Proficiency Exam OR GED); AND
  4. Enroll in an accredited California institution of higher education (CCC, CSU, or UC)
  5. File a “Non-Resident Tuition Exemption” Affidavit with the school. In the case of students without legal immigration status, they must state that they have filed or will file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so.

When did the law take effect?

January 2, 2002

What are the procedures for requesting the exemption from nonresident tuition fees?

Download the AB 540 Affidavit. Instructions for how to fill out the Affadavit can be found here

How do students request a refund if they have already paid nonresident tuition fees and then become eligible for an exemption?

Students may complete and submit the refund request form, or go to the Bursar's Office, either at the One Stop Student Services Center (in the Student Services building) or in the Administration building. The refund will be processed and mailed to the student's home address approximately three weeks from the date of application.

Do students need to file a new affidavit each semester they enroll?

No. Students providing an affidavit are not required to submit a new affidavit for any future term of continuous enrollment after the original affidavit is submitted. A break in continuous enrollment will require completion of a new affidavit.

Are U.S. citizens who are current residents of other states but meet all the criteria eligible?


Does the exemption apply to students holding valid non-immigrant (temporary) visas (such as F, J, H, L or other temporary visa)?


Are students covered under this exemption eligible to receive State University Grants (SUG)?

Yes. Students exempted from paying nonresident tuition fees are eligible through the California dream act and will be considered for the State University grant if they meet the income guidelines and apply by the priority deadline.

Are students who are covered under this exemption eligible to receive other financial aid?

Students who are covered under this exemption are only eligible for state financial aid ~ they are not eligible for any federal financial aid. Requirements for federal financial aid are determined by federal regulations. Citizenship criteria for specific stipends, internships, or scholarships are determined by the agency handling the application and selection process. However, all students can apply for university and private scholarships to cover additional educational costs.

Are students who are covered under this exemption eligible to receive a waiver of the application fee based on qualifying financial status?

Yes. Students who meet the AB 540 eligibility must fill out a paper application fee waiver and mail it to the University to be considered for the application fee waiver. On their paper application, they must indicate that they will have completed three years of high school and graduated from a California high school prior to attending our university.

Are students who are covered under this exemption eligible to participate in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)?

Yes. Students who meet the AB 540 criteria are eligible to be considered for the EOP program based on the California Dream Act of 2011.

What happens if the certification provided by a student is later determined to be false?

The student will be liable for the repayment of the difference between resident and nonresident tuition fees that would have been applicable for all terms of attendance. The student may also be subject to disciplinary proceedings.

What happens to the information obtained in the implementation of this law?

The law requires that all information obtained in the implementation remain a confidential portion of the students' permanent record. For audit purposes, the original documents must be maintained for at least five years.

Will my California residency change if I am approved for this waiver?

No. A non-resident student eligible for the AB540 non-resident tuition fees exemption does not change residency status. The student remains a non-resident until such time that the student is legally able to establish California residency. The student then must complete the Residency Change form and provide appropriate documentation for the change.

For more information about AB540 visit, www.sfsu.edu/future/apply/AB540.html.

Back to top

CSU Net Price & Cost Calculator

CSU Net Price & Cost Calculator is designed to allow high school and college students (freshman through senior) to estimate student financial aid eligibility information.

Go to: Cal State Financial Aid to read more information about the CSU Net Price & Cost Calculator.

SF State Home