Former students of the university must apply for readmission if: (1) they have been absent for two full semesters (excluding summer sessions) immediately preceding the semester for which application is made; or (2) they have attended another college in any interval of their absence. In order to be considered "in attendance" for any semester, the student must be enrolled in at least one class through the end of the twentieth day of instruction, and is, therefore, given the status of continuing student. (See Planned Educational Leave of Absence for more information.) If a student has attended any other educational institution since previous attendance as a matriculated student at this university, transcripts must be supplied for all academic work for which the student enrolled in the period since last attending.

Applications for readmission and all supporting materials must be filed in the Admissions Office or the Graduate Division in accordance with current requirements and procedures. To be eligible for readmission, graduate students must have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all course work attempted at SFSU in graduate status and all course work attempted at other colleges during their absence.

Graduate Approved Programs (GAPs) filed before leaving the university are automatically voided after one regular semester of absence has occurred and where no formal Planned Educational Leave of Absence has been granted. Upon readmission, a new GAP that meets current curricular requirements needs to be completed and filed (see specific program in the Academic Programs section).

Students on academic probation, who discontinued their official enrollment at the university for more than one semester, will be considered for readmission only upon presentation of evidence of having earned a C average in all university work attempted at San Francisco State University. For classified graduate students, this is a 3.0 (B) GPA in all course work attempted while in post-baccalaureate status.

Grade point deficiencies incurred at San Francisco State University may be removed only by course work taken through Open University or Winter Session at San Francisco State University. Undergraduate students with unusual circumstances may submit a petition for special consideration to the Admissions Office. Graduate students with unusual circumstances may contact the Graduate Division for advice.