Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Covering the Costs of College

There are a variety of sources of financial support for veterans, active military, reservists and dependents. Each has its own forms, processes and timetables.

College Fund

Each military branch establishes its own distinct qualifications for the College Fund. The qualifications are usually based on a critical occupational specialty. The VA does not determine eligibility of this additional benefit.

If you qualify for the College Fund, you do not receive it in one lump-sum payment. Your total College Fund is divided into monthly payments (based on the 36 months of eligibility under the MGIB) that are added to regular MGIB payments. You cannot receive your College Fund money without receiving MGIB benefits. It is an add-on to your MGIB benefit.


Currently the VA does not have a way to interface with the US Department of Defense to verify service members who pay the $600 additional contribution (kicker). The VA requests each service member who paid this contribution to submit a photocopy of the following:

  • DD Form 2366

  • Copy of LES's - if deductions are payroll deducted

  • DD Form 1131 - Cash Voucher if paid cash in full

These documents provide proof to the VA that the $600 was paid and they will process your claim to include this kicker. The kicker is divided by the number of months of eligibility available under the MGIB or MGIB-Selected Reserve. It is an add-on to your MGIB or MGIB-Selected Reserve benefit.


California Dependents Education Assistance

The dependent child, spouse or unmarried surviving spouses of a service connected disabled or deceased veteran may be entitled to fee waiver benefits at any campus of the California State University system as well as other public California colleges. To obtain eligibility requirements and assistance in applying for these valuable benefits, please contact your local County Veterans Service Office. The SF State VA benefits certifying official (415/338-2336) or the CDVA (916/503-8397) can also assist you.

If you are receiving VA Education Benefits under Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance), you are not eligible to receive the California Dependents Education Assistance under Plan A.

The fee waiver benefits provided by this program only waive the state fee, but not campus-based fees. This benefit is applicable to one academic year only and must be renewed each academic year.

Financial Aid

Though receipt of VA benefits is considered in the determination of a veteran student's level of aid, most veteran students do qualify for other forms of financial aid. Individuals should also file the Federal Financial Student Aid Application.

Financial Aid Contact

Jimmie Wilder, Associate Director, Financial Aid

415/338-2592 (office)

415/338-0949 (FAX)


Other Scholarships


VA Kids Teachers' Page - Another resource for scholarship information.

More information about financial aid and scholarships is available from SF State’s Office of Financial Aid.

Work Study

All students training under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, and 1606 VA education programs and who have been certified for 3/4 time enrollment or more are eligible to apply for the VA Work Study Program. Students may work up to 450 hours in a term, and receive the current state or federal minimum wage (whichever is higher). This hourly wage is tax exempt as it is a part of the VA Educational benefits. Please check with the SF State VA benefits certifying official 415/338-2336 for more information.


Veterans benefits are NOT taxable and, therefore, do not need be reported to the IRS as income.

Tuition Assistance

The VA Office does not process Tuition Assistance reimbursements. For reservists, assistance with Tuition Assistance applications, policies, and procedures are provided through the individual's reserve unit education service office.

Tuition Assistance Contact

Bursar’s Office


415/338-7787 (FAX)


SF State Home