Protect Your Property During Finals!
Theft of personal property is the #1 crime on campus. Most thefts occur when personal property is left unattended. Previous years have shown an increase in property theft during finals and towards the end of the semester. The stress of preparing for semester finals and graduation tends to make people forget the importance of keeping their property safe. Below is a list of tips you can use to prevent your property from being stolen.
- While studying in the library or classroom never leave your property unattended or out of your sight.
- Carry your wallet or purse on your body and not in your backpack.
- Always close and lock all windows and doors when you are leaving your room or apartment. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes, “Lock it”!
- “Double check” your door to make sure that it locked properly before leaving.
- Always have your Apartment/Room key with you.
- Do not keep high value items out in plain view. Keep them out of sight!
Good Luck On Finals!
For additional information, call the San Francisco State University Police Department (415) 338-7200 or the San Francisco Police Department (415) 553-0123.
Armed Robbery (02-02-13)
On February 2, 2013, at approximately 8:43PM, an armed robbery occurred in the area of 175 Buckingham Way. The victim (a pizza deliveryman) was approached by two black males who exited a white SUV (possibly a Ford Escape).
The suspects approached the victim, and pushed him up against the trunk of his car. The suspects asked for all of the victim’s belongings. The victim said that he felt a hard object, which he believed to be a semi-automatic handgun, pushed against his right side of the hip. The suspects searched the victim and took $600.00 dollars cash and his iPhone.
The suspects got into the SUV and fled. The first suspect was described as a black male, approximately 5'06'' tall, approximately 150 lbs, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. Approximate age was 23-25 years of age. The second suspect was described as a black male, approximately 5'09'' tall, 180lbs, wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. His approximate age was 23-25 years of age.
As a reminder:
- Stay alert to your surroundings at all times. Observe people and activities around you.
- Don’t walk alone at night!
- Choose busy, well-lit streets and avoid isolated areas, alleys, vacant lots, abandoned buildings and construction sites.
- Don’t flash your personal belongings such as MP3 players, Cell phones, Laptops or leave them unattended
Please use our campus escort service C.A.R.E. (CAMPUS ALLIANCE FOR A RISK-FREE ENVIRONMENT) for free escorts on campus. C.A.R.E. escorts are trained and supervised by the UPD and available from 4:30pm-11:30pm M-F. UPD Officers are available when C.A.R.E. members are not on duty. Contact the San Francisco State University Police Department at (415) 338-7200 and refer to our website at http://www.sfsu.edu/~upd/ for additional safety information.