SF State Campus Ordinances
Purpose and Intent:
San Francisco State University has implemented the following campus ordinances to protect the health, safety and general welfare of the SF State community and visitors to the campus.
California Government Code Sections 7596-7598 permit local governments and college campuses, including those of the California State University, to pass more restrictive smoking ordinances, regulations and policies than those listed in the California Government Code itself in order to address issues that have a negative impact on the campus communities.
The following are the SFSU Campus Ordinances which are enforced by the University Police Department and Department of Parking and Transportation. These ordinances are campus-specific and are decriminalized sections, much like a parking ticket. They are not adjudicated in a court of law.
- Authority to Cite and Collect Revenue for 21113 CVC Violations - AB 1228
- Authority to Cite and Collect Revenue for Smoking Violations on Campus
- Education Code 89031 (Misdemeanor) – Fine of “up to” $1,000 “and/or” up to 1 year in jail.
- Title 5 California Code of Regulations Sec. 42356
SFSU Ordinance #2010-1 – Securing Bicycle/Scooter to anything other than Bike Rack Prohibited - CVC 21113a. It shall be a violation of SFSU campus ordinance #2010-1 to secure a bicycle/scooter of any kind to an object, building or tree on the SFSU campus at any time. Only a bike rack provided by the campus and designed to secure bicycles/scooters shall be used to secure bicycles/scooters. Penalty: $58.00
SFSU Ordinance #2010-2 – Skateboarding on Campus Prohibited - CVC 21113a. It shall be a violation of SFSU campus ordinance #2010-2 to ride a skateboard of any kind on the grounds of the SFSU campus at any time. Penalty: $58.00
SFSU Ordinance #2010-3 – Riding Bicycle/Scooter on Campus Prohibited – CVC 21113a. It shall be a violation of SFSU campus ordinance #2010-3 to ride a bicycle or scooter (motorized or not) of any kind on the grounds of the SFSU campus at any time, except on a designated bike path. Penalty: $58.00
SFSU Ordinance #2010-4 – Smoking on Campus Prohibited – Education Code 89031. It shall be a violation of SFSU campus ordinance #2010-4 to smoke on the grounds of the SFSU campus at any time, unless in a designated smoking area. Penalty: $58.00
Citation Payment Information:
- Payment by mail: Make check or money order for amount of fee listed on the front of the citation payable to SFSU CITATION PROCESSING. Do not send cash. Write the citation number on the check or money order. Your cancelled check will serve as a receipt. Enclose the payment and the citation in the return envelope or send to address printed on the front of the notice.
- Payment in person: You may pay your citation in person at the SFSU Parking Department on North State Drive or at either of the SFSU cashier’s offices: Administration Building 155 or Student Services Building first floor. The Parking Department cannot accept cash – checks or money orders only.
Step One: Request for Citation Cancellation: If you wish to contest a citation, you must do so in writing within 21 calendar days from the date of issuance. Forms are located at the parking Department on North State Drive on the SFSU campus or online at http://www.sfsu.edu/~parking.
Step Two: Administrative Review: If your request for cancellation has been denied and you would like to further contest the citation, you may do so in writing within 10 days of the mailing results of step one. Administrative review will be done after the fee is paid. Forms are located at the parking Department on North State Drive on the SFSU campus.
For questions about a citation received, call (415) 338-7827, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.