Each Fall (we will not admit freshmen for fall 2013), San Francisco State University offers a special program for a select group of newly admitted freshmen: The Presidential Scholars' Program. This is the most distinguished academic award the University can bestow on an entering undergraduate student. Participation in the Scholars' program allows you to become part of a small, close-knit group while enjoying the benefits of being at a major university. Among the advantages SF State offers all students are a commitment to teaching as our primary mission, opportunities for students to do serious academic research, more than 150 student clubs and organizations, excellent academic facilities, and opportunities to "learn by doing" in a variety of internships in San Francisco, one of the world's greatest cities.
What Presidential Scholars' can expect from SF State
If you are selected as a Presidential Scholar, you will be able to take advantage of the following features of the program:
- A special welcome, orientation, and advising session at no charge during the summer, before you register for courses.
- Automatic payment of your in-state registration fees in full.
- $4000 for housing in freshman year only.
- Guaranteed space in the Towers at Centennial Square Apartments (subject to housing regulations).
- Priority registration for courses.
- A Scholars' seminar that brings you together regularly to interact with select faculty members and develop your academic skills in the context of the University.
- Two General Education courses taken with the other Presidential Scholars.
- Periodic co-curricular and cultural events to expand your intellectual experience while having fun together.
What SF State expects from Presidential Scholars
If you are selected as a Presidential Scholar, your scholarship is renewable for eight semesters if you:
- Complete at least 24 units per year, the equivalent of full-time progress towards your degree.
- Take at least 21 units per year on a graded (rather than credit/no-credit) basis.
- Achieve and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.25.
- Participate in the required activities scheduled for the Presidential Scholars, including the Scholars' orientation, seminar, meetings, and special events.
How to apply for the SF State Presidential Scholars' Program
Admission to the Presidential Scholars' Program at SF State is based on merit. Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- You must be a resident of California.
- You must graduate from high school by June of the year you enroll at SF State.
- You must have a high school grade point average of at least 3.8 and a combined Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score of at least 1150. (Reading and Math) (verification required)
- You must apply to San Francisco State University as a first-time freshman for fall before applying for the Presidential Scholars' Program. The application period for the Presidential Scholarship is mid-January to mid-February.
- You must complete an application (updated in December). We are particularly interested in evidence of academic and personal achievement, extracurricular contributions to your school and/or community, leadership potential, and the ability to express yourself effectively.
The application should be typed or neatly handwritten. Responses should be accurate and complete, and the completed application should provide a clear description of your achievements and aspirations. Send your completed application to the following address:
Division of Undergraduate Studies
Presidential Scholars' Program
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave. ADM 447
San Francisco, CA 94132-4018