It’s easy being green! Here are a few things you can do to make the world a more sustainable place.
- Ride your bike to campus: With over 200 new bike racks placed throughout campus and daily access to secure bike parking in the Bike Barn you never have to worry about your bike getting stolen.
- Take mass transit: The 17, 28, 29, bus lines and and M muni rail all stop within steps of SF State. The campus also provides a free shuttle from the closest BART station at Daly City.
- Carpool: Check out the SF State ride match program located on the parking and transportation website to find commuting Gators in your area.
- Carry a reusable water bottle and mug. Fill it up at the filtered water station in Cesar Chavez. Visit the Klean Kanteen site for more information on reusable water bottles.
- Don’t forget to bring your reusable coffee mug to get discounts on coffee refills around campus.
- Never leave the house without a reusable bag. Check out ChicoBag for more information about reusable bags.
- Save over 20 lbs of landfill waste per person, by ditching paper towels and bringing your own towel. PeopleTowels is an example of a personal hand towel.
- Earth Friendly Computers: EPEAT allows you to compare new computers from a sustainability perspective. If you’re in the market for a new computer, make sure you check the EPEAT site before you buy.
- Compost on campus: The city of San Francisco is striving to reach a goal of zero waste by 2020. Compost bins are located in The Cesar Chavez Student Center, The Vista Room, The Business Building and in the residence halls. Make sure to compost all of your food waste, coffee cups (without lids), paper plates, pizza boxes, and paper towels/napkins.
- Recycle: All bottles, cans, paper and hard plastics (including straws and coffee cup lids). Any soft plastic, e.g. plastic bags and plastic wrap, are not recyclable.
- Check the Recycling Resource Sheet if you have any questions.
- Print double sided
- Expand all margins on Word documents to use less paper
- Only print necessary emails
- Use Google calendar instead of planners
- Look for recycled content note books and printer paper at the CCSC Bookstore
- Lighting: Switch all bulbs to CFLs
- Water: Install low flow showerheads, toilets and faucets
- Laundry: Use biodegradable detergents and always wash on the warm or cold settings
- Bedding: Choose organic cotton bedding over non-organic and choose bamboo bedding over cotton. Bamboo is softer, and longer lasting than cotton, antimicrobial, and made from a renewable resource.
- Heating: Turn your thermostat down during winter and up for summer to save carbon dioxide emissions
Sustainability Web Resources
- Sustainability in the news: TreeHugger is a great site for sustainability news.
- Looking for a local green business, farmers market, or park? Visit the San Francisco Green Map.
- Green Blog
- Get in touch with fellow sustainability minded students though the California Student Sustainability Coalition
- Find out about San Francisco’s environmental programs and policies