Student Teaching Guidelines
should plan on completing their student teaching during their last semester
in the credential program. Students must be enrolled full-time
for a minimum of 12 units during the semester of student teaching.
Students must apply for student teaching one semester before they intend
to student teach.
Click here for the Application and
CAP form, which are also available in the Department of Special Eduation
Office, Burk Hall 156.
>> CD CAP form
February 28th for Fall semester
September 28th for Spring semester
Following requirements must be met PRIOR to student teaching.
ATTACH copies of evidence for each precondition that
you have met, even if you have submitted these materials at an earlier
NOTE: If you hold a credential or permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) make a copy and submit along with your application and CAP form in lieu of documentation below. Valid Multiple-Subject, Single Subject, Education Specialist, and Intern credentials cover all preconditions listed below. Valid Emergency Credentials or Permits cover only the COC and TB requirements.
(California Basic Educational Skills Test) must be taken prior to admission;
must be passed prior to the second semester of enrollment. For more
information on the Test go to their website: http://www.cbest.nesinc.com.
Test (TB). Done within the 2 past years. Available at SFSU Health Center.
Matter Competence (CD, ECSE and O&M are exempt). Take
the appropriate exam (CSET), make certain to take all the applicable
subsets in the category you choose. For more information contact a Credential
Analyst in the Credential Services Teacher Preparation Office (BH 244)
or call (415) 405-3594.
CSET information: http://www.cset.nesinc.com
Approved Program (CAP form). Prepare draft with your SPED advisor
and submit with your student teaching application. Forms are available
in pdf format on the Handbooks and Forms page or hard copy in the Credential Services Teacher Preparation Office
in BH 244 and in the department office located in BH 156.
of Clearance (COC): Fingerprint Clearance via Live Scan and Commission on Teacher Credentialing online application.
In accordance with California state law and Education code, all teaching credential applicants must go through a background check. All applicants must apply for a Certificate of Clearance with the
Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) OR submit proof of prior completion of the clearance.
Acceptable documentation in lieu of a Certificate of Clearance: valid credentials or permits issued by the CTC, including substitute, pre-intern, clear or preliminary, or Child Development permits. District or other job related clearance is not acceptable. Submit a photocopy of the document or a print-out from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website
Part 1: Have your fingerprints taken via Live Scan
Complete the CTC-specific 41-LS Live Scan form: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/41-LS.pdf. Take it to a Live Scan Station (http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php) for your fingerprints to be taken.
- If you had your fingerprints taken at a district or for another type of job, these will NOT be electronically submitted to the CTC.
Part 2: Complete the online application at the CTC website:
Apply for the Certificate of Clearance using the Web Application Process at the CTC website. (www.ctc.ca.gov)
Important: Before beginning the application process, be sure to turn off all pop-up blockers for this site.
Click the Online Services for Educators navigation button.
- Select the link “Educators Page” to complete your application on the Educator Page
- Create/log in to your personal profile on the secure Educator Page using your SSN and date of birth. If creating a new profile, you will need to enter this information twice.
- Edit/complete your personal profile and click ‘Next’.
- Click on the “Create New” button under Web Applications to start your application for the Certificate of Clearance.
- Select the Certificate of Clearance from the drop down menus; review the checklist verifying you meet all requirements for the document, print it, click ‘Next’.
- Read the Disclosure page for the Professional Fitness questions and answer ‘Yes’ to continue to the next page.
- Answer each of the Professional Fitness Questions, complete the Oath and Affidavit, and click Submit Payment.
- The display shows the document applied for and the amount to pay. Click the Continue button.
- Complete the billing verification information for LexisNexis. Choose to pay with credit card (can also use debit card with Visa or MasterCard logo). Click continue button when finished.
- Verify all the payment information is correct, including email address. Click complete Payment button. Do not click the Complete Payment button more than once.
- Use the link provided to obtain a printable receipt for your reference and personal records.
- Note: If you answered “yes” to any of the Personal and Professional Fitness questions you must send required supporting materials to the Commission as per instructions.
- Once your COC is processed it can be printed from the Internet. After two weeks, log in to the Credential Look-up on the CCTC website: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/online-services/default.html. If yours does not appear keep checking this site.
- Submit a copy of the Certificate of Clearance to the Credential Admissions Office. **Please do NOT submit the “Printer Friendly” copy. The document needs to list: your name, the document number and the issuance date.**
If you already have a Certificate of Clearance OR a CCTC credential (i.e., Substitute Credential, Child Development Permit, Multiple Subject Credential, etc.) you DO NOT need to complete the above process.
to top | Home
Department of Special Education, 1600 Holloway Avenue, Burk Hall
San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1161.