SPED \ CD Department of Special Education & Communicative Disorders
Communicative Disorders
Bachelor of Arts
Master of Science

How To Apply
Handbooks and Forms
Faculty and Staff
Campus Map

Credential Programs in Communicative Disorders

Students intending to practice speech-language pathology or audiology in the public schools must acquire the appropriate clinical-rehabilitative service credential. The California Commission on Teacher Credentials (CCTC) is responsible for determining the appropriate requirements for the practice of speech-language pathology in the public schools. Students should be aware that changes in credential requirements are determined by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, not the Communicative Disorders Program. Your advisor can answer basic questions regarding credentials. More complex questions should be addressed to the College of Education Credentials Services Office (405-3594) or directly to CCTC in Sacramento (888) 921-2682.

Speech-Language Services Credential: Speech-Language Pathology.
(Click here for course sequence)
The appropriate credential for an itinerant speech-language pathologist is the Speech-Language Services Credential. The first 50 clinical contact hours must be obtained in the Communicative Disorders Clinic. Additional requirements are as follows:

  1. Pass the CBEST prior to approval for the student teaching experience.
  2. CD 715: Clinical/Rehabilitative Experience in the School
  3. CD 725: Student Teaching Workshop: Communication Handicapped
  4. SPED 788 Law, Ethics, and Instructional Planning
  5. SPED 801 Development, Diversity, and ELL: Special Education

Clinical-Rehabilitative Service Credential (CRS): Orientation and Mobility.
Click here for more information.


The State of California requires speech-language pathologists to acquire a license to practice in all settings except public schools and federal facilities. Practicing without a license constitutes a misdemeanor that is punishable by a fine. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Examining Committee in Sacramento at (916) 263-2666.

San Francisco State Home Page


| return to top | Home |

Department of Special Education, 1600 Holloway Avenue, Burk Hall 156,
San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1161.