SPED \ CD Department of Special Education & Communicative Disorders
Communicative Disorders
Bachelor of Arts
Master of Science

How To Apply
Handbooks and Forms
Faculty and Staff
Campus Map

Bachelor of Arts in Communicative Disorders

The  Bachelor  of  Arts  in  Communicative  Disorders    (CD)  is  designed  to  provide  students  with  the  prerequisite   knowledge  necessary  to  apply  to  graduate  study  leading  to  the  completion  of  a  master’s  degree  in  speech-­-language   pathology  or  doctoral  study  in  audiology.  While  the  BA  degree  in  CD  does  not  qualify  the  student  to  practice  speech- language  pathology  or  audiology,  there  are  related  fields  open  to  the  BA  graduate  that  include  teacher’s  assistant,   classroom  aide,  child  development  worker,  and  speech-language  pathology  assistant  with  additional  intern   experience  beyond  the  undergraduate  degree.

Other requirements necessary to complete the Bachelor's degree are described in the university bulletin.

Academic Requirements
CD 651: Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech Mechanism 3
CD 652: Audiology 3
CD 653: Fluency and Voice Disorders 3
CD 654: Audiometry 3
CD 656: Diagnosis of Communicative Disorders 3
CD 658: Communicative Development and Disorders 3
CD 659: Articulatory and Phonological Disorders 3
CD 660: Communicative Disorders 3
CD 661: Neurolinguistics 3
CD 663: Augmentative & Alternative Communication 3
* CD 668: Dynamics of Communication 3
CD 664: Clinical Phonetics 3
(Optional CD 711: Clinic Aide)

* Meets (GWAR) Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement

TOTAL 36 Units


All students must have course requests approved by an advisor and recorded on their advising card. Advising occurs each semester during "advising week.” However advising may be done at any time throughout the semester. For undergraduate advising please consult the Communicative Disorders
Faculty List.

Priority for upper division coursework for the undergraduate major is granted in the following rank order: conditional graduates admitted to the major; B.A. majors with senior graduating status, then juniors; Second-baccalaureate majors; and Open University students on a space available basis.

Undergraduates enter the program in their junior year, usually after having completed all or most of the general education requirements for a Bachelor's degree. Students who have questions regarding general education requirements need to contact a general education advisor in the Advising Center (415) 338-2101. All undergraduate students must complete 124 units to graduate from the university. Undergraduate students may (on advisement) take up to 6 units of CD graduate coursework beyond the 124 units required for graduation during their final semester as an undergraduate.

Undergraduate students who are entering the program from a different undergraduate major are required to complete a "Change of Major" card. Approval must be obtained from the Communicative Disorders Program Coordinator or major advisor.

Although we encourage undergraduates to apply for admission to our graduate program, acceptance is not automatic. Acceptance into the graduate program is competitive. Undergraduate courses closely follow ASHA requirements for human communication processes and professional coursework; your undergraduate program should result in meeting the undergraduate academic requirements of most other ASHA accredited training programs in CD.

The CD Clinic is located on the ground floor of Burk Hall (BH 114). A central feature is the Interdisciplinary Clinic. This is a space that the Communicative Disorders Program shares with the School of Nursing and Department of Counseling. The clinic complex offers unique opportunities for student clinicians to interact with students and faculty from other disciplines. Observation and recording facilities are state-of-the-art.

San Francisco State Home Page


| return to top | Home |

Department of Special Education, 1600 Holloway Avenue, Burk Hall 156,
San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1161.