Family Member Services
- Career Planning for Family Members
- Career Counseling
- What Can My Student Do With This Major?
- Career Events
Career Planning for Family Members
Many first-time Freshmen coming to SF State have made the important decision to attend college but do not yet have a clue as to the degree they want to major in, let alone the career they will ultimately pursue. In collaboration with the Career Center, you can assist and support your family member in making these decisions. The student section of our web site contains a wealth of resources that serve as a starting point.
We want to help your student find a personally meaningful, exciting, and fun career while meeting his or her needs for earning a living as well. The Career Center offers individual career counseling and career assessments. Working with a career counselor can help your student to:
- Decide on a major
- Investigate ways to use his/her major in a real world workplace
- Discuss their ideas and concerns about career-related issues
- Make effective career decisions
- Learn how to do a professional job search
- Create a targeted resume
- Develop effective interviewing techniques
What Can My Student Do With This Major?
The Career Center has compiled an informational database providing concise, custom-tailored information to help your student determine a major.
- For each major that interests your student, click on "Information" to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
- Click on "Links" to find a list of Web sites that provide information about listed majors and related careers.
During the fall and spring semesters, the Career Center coordinates a variety of programs and career events. These provide opportunities for your student to network with employers, gather career information, explore internship or co-op programs, and learn about part-time or full-time employment opportunities.