Health and Safety      College of Science and Engineering (COSE)

Image: Pictures representing the depts of the College of Science and Engineering



When the unexpected happens, early reporting and damage control can prevent harm to people, equipment and research projects.


Reporting Utility Problems

  1. Report heating, ventilation, water, and compressed air problems to the department stockroom manager or office manager as soon as possible. They will contact Work Control at x8-1568 to troubleshoot and repair the problem.
  2. For large-scale building problems, such as shut down of entire water distillation or heating system, contact Mike Blagoyevich or Linda Vadura with a detailed description of the problem.
  3. Contact affected individuals so they may look after their equipment and research project.


Responding to Specific Outages

  1. When building or distilled water supply is interrupted, turn off all water faucets in the affected area.
  2. When the steam supply is interrupted, shut off all the autoclaves in the area (if there are any).
    For autoclave problems in Hensill Hall, contact the BIS Facilty at x8-2288.
  3. If you believe the ventilation system isn’t working right, report it to your department stockroom or office.
  4. If you think that the fume hood, autoclave, or other such equipment isn’t working correctly, STOP using it and report it to the department stockroom or office as soon as possible.
  5. Check solvent distillation set ups and other lab experiments and ensure that they are turned off or stable. Don’t leave hazardous setups unattended.
  6. After-hours, call x87200 and report large-scale or serious outages or building problems to the Campus Police dispatcher. The dispatcher will then contact on-call Plant Operations technicans.







SF State Home