The SAFE Place is looking for enthusiastic students interested in creating a violence free community on SF State’s campus. Volunteer opportunities allows students to work on a team to educate the campus community about violence prevention and disseminate information and resources to students who have experienced violence in their lives. The work of The SAFE Place programs could not be accomplished without the dedication of student volunteers, student leaders, & interns.
The SAFE Place offers both undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to:
-create violence prevention/ health affirming programming which meets the needs of our campus community
-connect with a diverse group of people who believe in social justice
-educate other students through anti-violence work -become contributing members & leaders in our campus community -effect change at SF State
• Students for a SAFE Campus strives to educate students and instill awareness concerning rape, sexual assault, domestic, violence harassment and battery. Group meets 1X a week during the semester to work on programs and events on campus.
• Men’s Prevention Team Comprised of male allies working to provide sexual violence prevention education. Group meets 1X a week to plan male specific programming such as: Walk in Her Heels and CockTales.
• The SAFE Place Peer Program Students enrolled in Counseling 605/ 606 classes volunteer 20 hours of service a semester. Students are expected to meet weekly to plan programs such as The Clothesline Project, Sexual Assault Awarensss Month Event and The Vagina Monolgues.
• Health Education Intern- Health Ed 480 requires that you commit to a placement 20 hours/ week.
• Community Involvement Center (CIC)- sign up at CIC and put The SAFE Place as a service placement.
• Counseling 608/ 699- must be an upper division student with a 3.0 GPA or higher. You can request to do this by approaching The SAFE Place staff.
• Various classes at SF State ask that students to do community service.
All volunteers/interns are asked to fill-out an application online or by picking up a hard copy in our office. We are located in Student Services Building 205. We ask volunteers to commit at least 2 hours a week to be able to attend meetings and work on specific tasks and events. Some opportunities will require additional time commitments. We also offer one-time commitments for specific events and other jobs throughout the semester. All volunteers will be notified of upcoming opportunities via email or by phone. Once candidates are interviewed, volunteers are placed in the applicable area of interest. Our goal is to have a mutually beneficial experience for both the volunteer’s time and The SAFE Place staff time. Ultimately, we want our volunteers to walk away with a wonderful experience they can be proud of! Please email Ismael de Guzman if you have any questions.
We look forward to hearing from you!
*** download volunteer/ internship application ***