San Francisco State University
THESIS AND APPLIED RESEARCH PROJECT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
* Completed all core and specialized courses. Students can petition to take RPT 880 concurrently with starting a thesis/ARP, although taking RPT 880 concurrently is not recommended. A student must have completed RPT 810, no exceptions.
* Received a grade of at least B+ for RPT 810 and RPT 880.
* Demonstrated excellent writing ability in RPT 810 and RPT 880
* For a thesis only; completed a basic statistics class with a grade of B- or better.
* Petition their Culminating Experience Committee to be eligible to take the thesis/ARP option
* Petition must include:
A) Completed Proposal for Culminating Experience form ( form 895 for APR or 898 for thesis). See www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/culminating-experience.htm.
B) Written formal Prospectus, a maximum of three (3) pages in length, that addresses the following. It must contains the headings shown below in italics.
1. In the Introduction describe your interest, background and
relevant literature for the topic of your proposed thesis or ARP. The
literature must include at least four references very specifically related
to your proposal that will be used to describe the research history of
your type of research. Provide a formal bibliography at the end. If you
are doing an ARP then identify a specific project and the organization
you propose to work with and clearly state how your project could be applied
to benefit it.
4. In the Methods provide a brief description of your proposed overall research/project design, data sources/sample and the methods for gathering and anlyzing data. It should include enough detail to identify extent and the feasibility of your proposed methods.
See webpage Thesis,
Applied Project and Comps Preparation for details on the process of
approvals and steps to completion.