San Francisco State University's mission:
- to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area
- to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment
- to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world
SFSU is part of the largest system of higher education in the country granting bachelor's and master's degrees, The California State University (CSU). Enrollment at the 23 CSU campuses as of fall 1996 is 336,657.
SFSU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
"Experientia Docet" ("Experience Teaches")
Purple and Gold
Two 16-week semesters: late August through December, and late January through late May. SFSU also offers three six-week and shorter sessions during the summer, and a three-week winter session.
Within its 68 academic departments and programs, SFSU awards bachelor's degrees in 93 areas of specialization and master's in 93. SFSU offers a Ph.D. and Ed.D. in education with a concentration in special education, jointly with UC Berkeley. In addition, the University offers a joint Master of Physical Therapy with UC San Francisco. The University also offers 28 credential programs and 22 undergraduate and graduate certificate programs.
Behavioral and Social Sciences
Health and Human Services
Science and Engineering
Size of Main Campus
93 acres, located in the southwest corner of San Francisco, at 1600 Holloway Avenue (corner of 19th Avenue), San Francisco.
Campus residence halls and apartments house 2,100 students at capacity. The university Guest Center provides overnight accommodations for up to 100.
- Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, 35 acres in Marin County on the San Francisco Bay
- Sierra Nevada Field Campus, nine acres in the Sierra foothills
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories, Monterey Bay (with five other CSUs)
- Downtown Center, 425 Market St., offering SFSU and Extended Learning classes
Information on this page was compiled in fall 1996.
Comments and Questions |
SFSU, 1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132