SF State Today
"Experientia Docet" ("Experience Teaches")
California State University (CSU)
The Gator (alligator). Selected by students in 1931, it was originally spelled with an "er" -- Golden Gaters -- a play on words to emphasize SF State's location.
SF State is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Purple and Gold
Intercollegiate Athletic Teams
Men: baseball, basketball, cross country, soccer and wrestling.
Women: basketball, cross country, soccer,softball, track and field (indoor and outdoor) and volleyball.
Affiliation: NCAA Division II
Conferences: California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) and Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) affiliated member in wrestling
Main campus: 141.1 acres
Romberg Tiburon Center: 42.1 acres
Two 16-week semesters, late August through December; late January through May; and a summer semester: June through August.
SF State Awards
- Bachelor's degrees in 78 academic areas with an additional 48 areas of concentration
- Master's degrees in 63 academic areas with an additional 40 areas of concentration
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership
- Ph.D. in Education with a concentration in special education, jointly with University of California, Berkeley
- The clinical doctorate, Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.), and a research doctorate for licensed physical therapists (D.P.T.Sc.), jointly with University of California, San Francisco
- SF State also offers 17 credential programs and 35 certificate programs.
SF State Extended Learning offers more than 30 career-relevant professional development programs, custom training for organizations, and access to SF State through Open University. For more information visit cel.sfsu.edu
- Downtown Campus, 835 Market St.
- Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, Marin County on the San Francisco Bay
- Sierra Nevada Field Campus, Sierra foothills
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (with six other CSUs), Monterey Bay