SF State Today
"Experientia Docet" ("Experience Teaches")
SF State is part of the largest system of higher education in the country granting bachelor's and master's degrees, The California State University (CSU).
The Gator (alligator)
Selected by students in 1931, it was originally spelled with an "er" -- Golden Gaters -- a play on words to emphasize SF State's location.
SF State is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Purple and Gold
Men: baseball, basketball, cross country, soccer and wrestling.
Women: basketball, cross country, soccer, track and field (indoor and outdoor) and volleyball.
Main campus: 141.61 acres
Romberg Tiburon Center: 42.1 acres
Two 16-week semesters, late August through December; late January through May; and a summer semester: June through August.
SF State Awards
- Bachelor's degrees in 115 areas of specialization
- Master's degrees in 100 areas of specialization
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership
- Ph.D. in education with a concentration in special education, jointly with University of California, Berkeley
- M.S. in physical therapy leading to a clinical doctoral degree (D.P.T.) and a research doctorate for licensed physical therapists (D.P.T.Sc.), jointly with University of California, San Francisco
SF State also offers 11 credential programs and 35 certificate programs.
SF State Extended Learning offers more than 30 career-relevant professional development programs, custom training for organizations and access to SF State through Open University. For more information visit www.cel.sfsu.edu
Behavioral and Social Sciences, Dean Joel J. Kassiola
Business, Dean Nancy K. Hayes
Creative Arts, Dean Kurt Daw
Education, Dean Jacob E. Perea
Ethnic Studies, Dean Kenneth Monteiro
Health and Human Services, Dean Don Taylor
Humanities, Dean Paul Sherwin
Science and Engineering, Dean Sheldon Axler
- Downtown Campus, 835 Market St.
- Romberg Tiburon Center for Environmental Studies, Marin County on the San Francisco Bay
- Sierra Nevada Field Campus, Sierra foothills
- Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (with six other CSUs), Monterey Bay