Latest Parent eNews
Parents & Family Program eNews is sent twice a year by e-mail prior to the Fall and Spring Recesses. Latest issue of the eNews for Fall 2013 is provided below.
You may access archival copies of the eNews here.
President Wong and the Strategic Planning Coordinating Committee are leading a broad-based and collaborative planning effort that will yield a new strategic plan for San Francisco State. Our new plan will identify several institutional-level objectives for growth and improvement over the short, medium and long term. We are asking students, faculty, staff and alumni for their ideas, but we want to hear from parents, too. Your unique perspective can help to make this project a success.
Our first question is "What would make SF State a better place?" Share your ideas and insights by adding your idea to the "I Want _____" at Neighborland.com/sfstate. You can also share ideas by Twitter or SMS:
- Tweet your idea: “I want ______ #SFState”
- Text your idea: “I want _____” to 415-727-7378
For more information on the strategic planning effort, visit our website: http://planning.sfsu.edu/
Spring semester is the most opportune time to search and apply for scholarships and financial aid for the next academic year. Many scholarships have application deadlines during the Spring semester and early Summer. The financial aid application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Application for AB540 students are available beginning January 1st of each year. The priority deadline to apply for financial aid is March 2.
Below are SF State scholarship resources available to assist you:
- SF State Office of Student Financial Aid Scholarship website has over 800 campus and outside scholarships listed on our “Scholarship Search” section. The “Quick Search/Applications” and the “Scholarship listings” are good resources as well. In addition, essay writing and recommendation letter tips, as well as other scholarship information, is provided.
- Visit the Scholarship bulletin board for up-to-date scholarship postings and scholarship fliers located at the Student Services Building, One Stop Center.
- Scholarship 101 workshops are presented every semester, so check out the Office of Student Financial Aid website for workshop dates and RSVP deadlines.
- The Fellowships Office advises students interested in applying for nationally competitive fellowships and California State University (CSU) system-wide fellowships. Successful applicants will generally have a GPA of 3.7 or above.
- The Campus Academic Resource Program (CARP) will assist students in developing a strong scholarship essay/personal statement. For more information on tutoring hours and workshops, visit CARP's website.
- Scholarships thru the SF State Alumni Association for undergraduate and graduate students, including international students and incoming freshmen with individual awards from $1,000 to $8,000.
For the past 13 years, San Francisco State University has celebrated International Education Week (IEW), an international event that emphasizes the importance of increasing knowledge and awareness of the world’s cultures, peoples and languages. Coordinated by the SF State Division of International Education and the Office of International Programs, this year’s annual celebration took place from Tuesday, November 12 through Friday, November 15, 2013.
IEW is a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. State Department. It was inaugurated by President Bill Clinton in 2000, and today is celebrated in more than 100 countries around the world. The main purpose of IEW is to celebrate the importance and benefits of international education in the United States and around the world. This annual event also aims to promote international understanding and build support for international educational exchange by encouraging the development of programs that prepare Americans to live and work in a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study in the United States.
SF State celebrated IEW by hosting a wide variety of events throughout the campus community including Chinese Culture Day, CultureFest, Diplomat Day, a three-day Cultural Festival, international lunches at our Vista Room, international dinners at the City Eats Dining Center, an OIP Open House, and various open classrooms, symposia, lectures and other activities.
SF State offers each student the opportunity to study abroad for one semester or a year in over 20 countries throughout the world. Programs for every major at SF State are available, and can be viewed online.
All courses abroad count the same as if the student took it at SF State and credit is applied towards a student’s major, minor, or general education requirements. With SF State Study Abroad, students pay the same tuition and have access to Financial Aid.
encouraged to visit the website specifically designed for parents, family
members, and friends for an overview of available programs as well as how you can
help your student study abroad.
Weekly Information Meetings for students are on Mondays at 10 a.m., Tuesdays at 11 a.m., and Wednesdays/Thursdays at 2 p.m. The Study Abroad Office is located on the ground level of the Village at Centennial Square, Building C, between Student Services Building and Humanities.
Deadline to apply for California State University International Programs is December 15, 2013.
SF State gave St. John's everything they could handle at the Exhibition Game in New York. In the words of SF State head coach Paul Trevor: "For us, it was a great experience. Our guys came out and played hard. We have a lot of seniors and they really showed a lot of resiliency tonight." Read about SF State athletes named to the All-CCAA Team, review the upcoming game schedule and more at the SF State Athletics website, including following articles on a few of the most notable recent wins:
- Cross Country: Assefa Punches Ticket to Nationals; Gators Finish 8th
- Soccer: SF State's Ceja and Vanni Were Named To the All-CCAA Team & Gators' Merritt Selected to the All-CCAA Second Team
- Wrestling: Seven Gators Place In Top 6 at Mike Clock Open
Don't forget to sign up online to receive the latest Gator results delivered directly to your wireless device.
Our students' parents and family are considered integral members of the campus community, and invited to join us for a variety of events organized by the Alumni Association, and more.
When asked about your SF State experience, we've received a variety of comments back that we wanted to share with you:
- "It was the late 70’s at SF State. My roommate Angie and I, a nursing student, were hoping to watch the premier episode of “Laverne and Shirley”. With only a corn popper in hand, we knocked on doors throughout the halls of the campus residence, hoping to find a friendly neighbor who would exchange TV privileges for some popped corn. Frank, a member of the football team, and Skip, a business major same as Angie, gladly let us in. We laughed and popped corn through the antics of Shirley and Laverne. Today, many years later, Frank and I have been married for 33 years, and our daughter is attending SF State, living in the residence halls. Visits to campus bring back fond memories to these alumni parents while providing a home away from home for our daughter, fresh with the possibility of lifelong friendships of her own, found just down the hall…" --Ms. Claire Pacific
- "Both of my daughters went to San Francisco
State--both had an amazing experience with the faculty there. My oldest
graduated with a Communications degree and has an exciting job traveling
all over the world! My youngest went to France via the study abroad
program and loved it so much she stayed.
State is an open-minded school that challenges students and prepares them for a successful future!" - Ms. Karen Devaney
- "As a single parent of 3 children, I am also the proud parent of my oldest daughter—the first to go to college. This is her second year and she enjoys every moment of her time there. I have seen her excitement as she pursues her career in psychology. I am happy she was given the opportunity to attend SFSU. It is not impossible for any student to attend college. There so many resources out there. We as parents have to go after them and make things happen." --Ms. Renee Campos
- "SFSU is a great fit for my daughter. I'm always sharing with friends with high schoolers how fantastic the campus is, so beautiful and green!!! I always share the story of our first days on campus, the well put together orientation, how the financial office was amazingly easy and the all-a-round vibe with nice!!!" --Ms. Anna Cabral
SF State Parents Council provides parents and family members with an active role in the education of their student and provides a forum for networking with other parents. We'd love to hear from you! You are invited to send in a short paragraph or more online to be included in the next issue of the Parent eNews.
Thank you for your support of San Francisco State University!