Office of International Programs (OIP)

Travel to and from the U.S.


When you leave the U.S. you will be asked to submit your I-94 to an airline representative. You are not required to submit I-94 if you did not receive one during your last entry to the US (meaning your entry record was electronically recorded in


Upon returning, you must show to the port-of-entry immigration official:

  • A valid passport. Usually required to be valid for at least six months into the future. Some countries have an agreement with the United States that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration

  • A current I-20. Either a new one or a PROPERLY ENDORSED old one (travel signature on page 3). To request a travel endorsement on page 3 or the I-20, complete a F-1 Document Request Form at OIP front desk and submit it with your most current I-20. Your I-20 will be signed and will be ready for pick up at OIP front desk. See document processing time

  • A valid F-1 visa. If you are visiting Canada, Mexico, or the Adjacent Islands for less than 30 days, you can re-enter the U.S. with an expired F-1 visa.
  • We recommend that you also take copies of your financial support documents, health insurance coverage, and student ID card in case you are asked to show these documents.

  • Students who are on Post-completion practical training must also present an EAD and job offer letter


SF State Home