- Obtain Reduced Course Load (RCL) approval from OIP
- Apply for graduation
- Apply for Post-completion OPT
- Attend Celebration of Achievement Reception
- Depart the U.S. within your grace period
- Checklist for students who are leaving San Francisco after program competion
If you are going to enroll part-time in your final semester you must get approval from OIP. To obtain approval, students must submit a signed and completed Reduced Course Load (RCL) form to OIP.
If you have been maintaining F-1 status you will be eligibile to apply for Post-completion Option Pracitacl Training (OPT). Graduating students may apply for OPT 90 days before their program completion date.
A special event designed for graduating F-1 students, see more information at Celebration of Achievement
You must depart the U.S. within 60 days of your I-20 program completion date or your actual program end date, whichever is earlier. The exceptions to this rule include students who
- Have applied for Post-Completion OPT, or
- Are transferring to another U.S. school, or
- Have applied for a change or adjustment of status with USCIS
If you live off-campus:
- Give 30-day written notice to your landlord with the date that you will be leaving your apartment. Be sure that your roommates are aware of your plans.
- Arrange for an apartment walk-through inspection with your landlord Agree on a date to receive your security deposit refund; request it in writing.
- Review your lease agreement and its stipulations on termination of the lease prior to the walk-through to avoid last minute misunderstandings.
- Cancel all utility accounts (cable tv, gas, electricity, water, telephone, etc.) and newspaper/magazine subscriptions
- Leave a forwarding address at the local USPS governing your zip code region.
- Be sure to change your address at SF State Gateway
If you live on-campus:
- Leave a forwarding address with either the SF State Housing Office (if you live in Mary Ward or Mary Park Halls) or with the Rental Office at Centennial Village
- Cancel your telephone agreement with Telecommunications and pay any outstanding phone bills
- Close all bank accounts
- Notify newspapers, credit card companies, and other home delivery services of your change of address and request a final billing statement.
- If you are on a University or Research Foundation payroll and do not have direct deposit, make arrangements with the appropriate payroll office to have your check(s) forwarded to you.
- Make sure that all your academic responsibilities are completed.
- Pay any outstanding library fines, parking fines, and other campus payment obligations, otherwise you will not receive your grades, transcripts, or diploma!
Unsubscribe from any e-mail lists using your SF State e-mail account if you will
not be able to access that account after your departure. SF State e-mail accounts
remain active for up to six months after graduation.
You can also change the account you use for subscribing to OIPNEWS by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and requesting that your subscription be updated.
- Contact shipping companies for best rates and make arrangements for shipping your items back to your home country in a timely manner
- Sell miscellaneous furniture, appliances, computers, automobiles, etc. by placing an advertisement in the Classified Section of the SF Chronicle or an ad with Craigslist.org!
- Join SF State Alumni Association