New leadership for CEL
Associate Vice President for Academic Planning and Development Linda Buckley will serve as interim director of the College of Extended Learning (CEL) effective Sept. 19, when current Director of CEL Jim Bryan retires. Chief of Operations for University Advancement Debbie Chaw will serve as interim chief financial officer for CEL, also effective Sept. 19. Buckley and Chaw will assume these duties for one year in addition to their ongoing current responsibilities.
"We are fortunate to have two exceptionally qualified individuals to guide CEL during this time of transition," said Provost Sue Rosser. "I thank them for their willingness to lead this vital component of our academic program and provide steady leadership through this next year."
Buckley joined SF State in 2006 and oversees the areas of academic planning, assessment, accountability, regional and professional accreditation, program review, and institutional research. Prior to joining SF State, she served as director of curriculum planning, assessment and accreditation at Sacramento State. Her extensive experience, including directing The International Training and Education Center for University of California, Davis College of Continuing Education, have prepared her well for leadership of CEL.
Chaw has vast financial management experience, having led financial and administrative operations at the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce and AT&T prior to joining SF State in 2006. She restructured and manages the SF State University Foundation as well as the University Advancement budget. Chaw will use her experience and knowledge to review the financial operation and potential of CEL.
Vista Room reopens
The Vista Room, managed and staffed by foodservice management students, will reopen Sept. 13. Hours are 11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and seating is from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. To purchase individual tickets for $15 each, or blocks of tickets at a reduced price, call ext. 8-1219. Contact Kelly Vuong at ext. 5-3530 or BH 329 for more information or to buy tickets, or contact the Hospitality Tourism Management Department at ext. 8-6087 or BUS 306. Payment is by check or OneCard only.
The Vista Room features California cuisine, serving the highest quality food prepared from fresh ingredients purchased from reputable vendors. Menu items are prepared by Chef Daniel Honan who has been with the Vista Room since 1998.
Disaster preparedness training
As part of the continuing development of a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) on campus, the San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD) will provide two days of intensive disaster preparedness training this fall. The training sessions will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 22 and Thursday, Oct. 6 at the Seven Hills Conference Center.
Students, faculty, staff and alumni are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity, which is geared toward people who live and work in San Francisco.
View the SFFD neighborhood emergency response training materials for the course outline and registration instructions. Additional information is also available at the fire department website at www.sf-fire.org Learn more about SF State campus-CERT by visiting www.sfsu.edu/emergency or contact Emergency Preparedness Coordinator Gayle Orr-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 8-1046.
Following is a list of action items from the Sept. 6 Academic Senate meeting:
- Heard a report from Chair Pamela Vaughn: on actions taken by the summer senate, appointments to the Faculty Honors and Awards Committee and University Research Council, decision on senate parliamentarian, and the need to craft a new policy on department chairs
- Heard a report from Interim Vice President of Administration and Finance Nancy Hayes: Overview of the SF State Budget with a question and answer period
- Heard a comprehensive report from Provost Sue Rosser: trends in tenure, tenure track faculty from 2000 to 2010
- Discussed the status of the University reorganization
- Approved the Academic Senate Executive Committee recommendation regarding the proposed resolution on Selection of Presidents in the California State University
- Elected Ali Borjian as an Academic Senate representative to serve a one-year term on the All-University Teacher Education Committee, 2011-12
- Elected Jeff Snipes as an Academic Senate representative to serve a three-year term on the Enrollment Management Committee, 2011-14
- Elected Harvey "Skip" Davis and Martin Linder as Academic Senate representatives to serve three-year terms on the University Budget Committee, 2011-14
- Approved the Academic Senate Executive Committee recommendation regarding approval of proposed standing committee assignments
Senate meeting dates are posted on the University Web calendar and on the Senate website at www.sfsu.edu/~senate
This week in Insiders: Professor of History Trevor Getz and Professor of Kinesiology Susan Zieff.
Read Insiders: www.sfsu.edu/~news/cmemo/fall11/sept12insiders.htm
This week in Newsmakers: Associate Professor of Economics Philip King and Professor of Cinema Britta Sjogren.
Submitting events to CampusMemo
CampusMemo picks up event listings directly from the University Calendar. Departments interested in publicizing an event in CampusMemo simply need to register the event on the University Calendar by 10 a.m. on Wednesday of the previous week. To submit an event, go to www.sfsu.edu/calendar/ and click on "Submit an Event" in the left-hand navigation bar. This procedure saves event sponsors the extra step of entering information specifically for CampusMemo, and the later deadline for submittal allows more time for event sponsors to submit their items to CampusMemo.
Click on the link for each event to view full listing in the University Calendar.
Forum: The 10th Annual Jules Tygiel Memorial Forum on Post-9/11 World Affairs: 3 p.m.
San Francisco State University Rights Conference
Park(ing) Day: 2 p.m.
Sept. 20: Academic Senate: 2 p.m.
Sept. 22: Neighborhood Emergency Response Team (NERT)
Sept. 26: Recital: Victoria Neve, piano: 1 p.m.
Sept. 30: Academic Senate: 2 p.m.
Sept. 30: Theatre: Jump: A Love Story: 8 p.m.
For more upcoming events, see the University