New Community Emergency Response Team on Campus
A Campus Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program will begin this fall as an ongoing initiative through the University's Office of Emergency Preparedness. CERT is part of a national program sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Administration and the national Citizens Corps.
CERT educates people about disaster preparedness for multiple hazards and trains them in such basic disaster response skills as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization and disaster medical operations. Through training, drills and practice exercises, CERT members learn how to assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available.
This free training will be provided by the San Francisco Fire Department through their Neighborhood Emergency Response Team (NERT) program. All students, alumni, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend the two-day NERT training on Oct. 14 and 21 at Seven Hills Conference Center. To register for NERT training and join SF State Campus CERT, visit the Emergency Preparedness website at www.sfsu.edu/emergency or contact Gayle Orr-Smith at email@example.com or ext. 8-1046.
CalPERS 'Planning Your Retirement' workshops scheduled
CalPERS members who are within five years of retirement are invited to attend a workshop that will cover how to maximize retirement benefits, how retirement benefits are calculated, the steps to take prior to retiring and the retirement application process. Limited one-on-one sessions with a CalPERS retirement specialist are available after the workshop. Sessions will be held from 8:30 to 11 a.m. on Oct. 4, and from 9 to 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 21. More details and registration information can be found at www.sfsu.edu/~hrwww/whatsnew.html
The Academic Senate will meet Tuesday from 2 to 5 p.m. in the Nob Hill Room of the Seven Hills Conference Center. An open floor period will be held from 2 to 2:10 p.m., providing an informal opportunity to raise questions or make comments directed to Senate officers or University administrators. The agenda will include:
- Report from University Provost Sue Rosser
- Introduction of Vice President of University Advancement Robert Nava
- Report from Dean of Faculty Affairs Wanda Lee
- Report from Bookstore Manager Rob Strong regarding CSU Initiatives: Digital Market Place and Affordable Learning Solutions
- Recommendation from Academic Policies Committee regarding the proposed policy on Declaration of Major, first reading
- Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee regarding proposed revisions to the Physics and Astronomy department B.S. in Physics, concentration in Astrophysics, first reading
- Recommendation from the Curriculum Review and Approval Committee regarding proposed revisions to change the title of the MSBA with a concentration in accounting to an M.S. in Accountancy (MSA), first reading
- Recommendation from the Student Affairs Committee regarding the proposed resolution in support of the Voter Registration Campaign, first reading
- Recommendation from the Student Affairs Committee regarding a proposal to rescind Academic Senate Policy S75-R-8, Family Housing at SF State, first reading
- Recommendation from the Student Affairs Committee regarding a proposal to rescind Academic Senate Policy S79-45, proposed plan for the admission ofpost baccalaureate unclassified applicants, first reading
Senate meeting dates are posted on the University Calendar and on the Senate website at www.sfsu.edu/~senate
This week in Insiders: Assistant Professor of Broadcast and Electronic Communication Arts Marie Drennan, Associate Professor of Creative Writing Nona Caspers and Professor of Health Education Adam Burke.
This week in Newsmakers: Professor of Psychology David Matsumoto, Economics Lecturer Bill Mason, Professor of English Michael Krasny and Associate Professor of Asian American Studies Russell Jeung.
Submitting events to CampusMemo
CampusMemo picks up event listings directly from the University Calendar. Departments interested in publicizing an event in CampusMemo simply need to register the event on the University Calendar by 10 a.m. on Wednesday of the previous week. To submit an event, go to www.sfsu.edu/calendar/ and click on "Submit an Event" in the left-hand navigation bar. This procedure saves event sponsors the extra step of entering information specifically for CampusMemo, and the later deadline for submittal allows more time for event sponsors to submit their items to CampusMemo.
Click on the link for each event to view full listing in the University Calendar.
Lecture: Sweatshop Labor: 4:10 p.m.
Book Signing: Michael Krasny: 5 p.m.
Lecture: California Surf Shops and the Transfer of Girl Localist Knowledge: noon
Academic Senate Meeting: 2 p.m.
Artist reception: Paintings and drawings by Beverly Voloshin: 3 p.m.
Lecture: Professor Alvin Plantinga (University of Notre Dame): 4 p.m.
Lectures: Asian American Studies' Fridays in Focus: 11 a.m.
Public Policy Research Group meeting and faculty research presentations: 10 a.m.
Oct. 10: Open House: Discovery Day: 11 a.m.
Oct. 10: Lecture: Morrison Artists Series pre-concert talk: 2 p.m.
Oct. 10: Concert: Morrison Artists Series: Czech Nonet: 3 p.m.
Oct. 11: National Coming Out Day: 11 a.m.
Oct. 11: Straight Talk: Q&A with Panel on Coming Out: 2 p.m.
Oct. 12: Community Gathering for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People, and Allies: 4 p.m.
Oct. 12: Film Screening and Reception: La Mission: 6 p.m.
Oct. 13: Discussion: Colonialism, Homophobia, Islamophobia and Racism: 4:10 p.m.
Oct. 14: Neighborhood Emergency Response Team training: 8:30 a.m.
Oct. 14: Same Gender Lovin': Building Healthy Relationships: 11 a.m.
Oct. 14: Workshop: Responding to unmotivated learners: 12:30 p.m.
Oct. 14: Lecture: Professor Richard Swinburne (University of Oxford): 4 p.m.
Oct. 15: Film screening: Taiwan films and filmmakers: 3:30 p.m.
Oct. 15: Theatre: One-Act Fringe: 8 p.m.
Oct. 16: Theatre: One-Act Fringe: 8 p.m.
For more upcoming events, see the University