April 10, 2003
"From the Nile to the Bay: Journey of Transformation," a new exhibit on campus in the Sutro Egyptian Collection, will be on display through May 1.
Curated and designed by students in a Museum Studies class, the exhibit includes several sarcophagi and mummies, model boats, figurines, jewelry, pots, masks, games and game pieces, and other artifacts from ancient Egypt.
The Sutro Egyptian Collection consists of approximately 700 ancient Egyptian artifacts spanning 5,000 years, from predynastic times through the Graeco-Roman period.
Adolph Sutro, the famed philanthropist and former mayor of San Francisco, purchased the collection in Egypt in the 1880s. The collection was displayed at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco from 1895 to 1966, when the baths were slated for destruction. George K. Whitney Jr., the owner of the baths, donated the collection to San Francisco State after Andreina Becker-Colonna, professor of Mediterranean archaeology, encouraged him to do so. The collection arrived at the University in 1972.
The Sutro Egyptian Collection is located in the Museum of Ancient Civilizations, in room 510 of the Humanities building.
Exhibition hours are 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Admission is free.
For details, call (415) 338-1500.
1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1111