Liberal Studies

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Frequently Asked Questions


General Advising

Q: Where do I go for help with general education (GE) advising?

A: The advising office in Administration 212 is the best place to get help with advising. Visit the Advising Center (embed url) website for their advising hours.

Q: What should I bring when I come to Liberal Studies drop-in advising?

A: A current DARS report, current unofficial transcript, an Advanced Standing Evaluation if applicable and your updated planning worksheet.


General Education

Q. Are there any recommended Segment III clusters for Liberal Studies students?

Though we don't recommend any specific clusters, Liberal Studies students should be aware of the fact that SS300, SS301, HUM425, and CA426 are part of clusters in Segment III. Therefore, by taking these core disciplines (or at least three of them), you automatically fulfill your Segment III requirements. To clear your Segment III in your DARS report all you need to do, once you take these classes, is to chose as your cluster one of the following: Integrating the Social Sciences, Arts in Society, or Human Expression.


The Core

Q: Do I need to take SS300 before SS301? A: No, do not need to take one class before the other. You can also take the classes concurrently. Q. Can I substitute SS300 or SS301 from one of the courses listed for Area III of the Teacher Prep Emphasis? No. You can only use those courses if your emphasis area is Teacher Prep.


The Emphasis and Minor

Q: Do I need to select an emphasis if I have, or want to do a minor? A: No. A minor can be used instead of an emphasis pattern. You should inform a Liberal Studies advisor and work directly with the department where you'll be doing the minor.


Future Teachers

Q. I want to be a teacher. Do I need to chose Teacher Prep as my emphasis area? No. However, the Teacher Prep emphasis was designed to give you exposure to as many disciplines as possible that are in the California standards, and we believe it prepares you better (content wise) for your career as an elementary school teacher.

Q. Which courses should I take to better prepare me for taking the CSET? The courses on the Elementary Teaching Preparation emphasis were chosen to give you classes that are as close as the CSET as possible, in terms of content knowledge. That said, it is very hard to cover all subject areas in the CSET, and you should not consider the courses as sufficient to prepare you for the test. However, we believe that if you chose the teaching prep emphasis you will be better situated not only to pass the CSET but, more importantly, to be an effective teacher in your future classroom.

Q. What if I want to be a middle school teacher? What do you recommend?

As for an elementary school teacher, there are many routes for you to pursue. One is to take coursework that allows you to get an Introductory or Supplementary Subject Matter authorization from the State of California. This works the following way. Once you obtain your Multiple-subject Credential, depending on the course work you took in college, you can apply for a either an Introductory or a Supplementary credential to teach a single subject (e.g, Math). This credential authorizes you to teach, on top of your K-5 original multiple-subject credential, K-9 single subject. Check the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for more information.

Q. How can I take so many courses in a given subject for my Introductory Authorization and still be able to graduate?

There are many different ways, depending on the authorization you're interested. The LS faculty is currently working on suggested courses that you can take and that could be used for your emphasis. For example, for an authorization in sciences, you could combine your GE Segment II science courses (6 credits)), Area II LS core (6 credits), and your 15 credits from an emphasis to get close to the required 32 credits.



SF State Home