Students select one of the approved emphasis patterns. A minimum of twelve semester units beyond the Core must be taken with Liberal Studies advisor approval, with at least six units completed at the upper division level. Students may choose to complete an approved minor in lieu of an area of emphasis. List of possible minors.
Consult with a major advisor regarding possible emphases.
For Elementary Teaching Preparation Emphasis, see the "Elementary Teaching Preparation Emphasis" section in the Bulletin
Approved Emphasis Patterns
Area I: Communication, Language, and Literature
- English Language: Literature, Language, and Communication
- Literature and Oral Performance
- Languages and Literatures Other Than English: Chinese, German, Russian, Classical Languages, Italian, Spanish, French, Japanese.
Area II: Life Science, Physical Science, and Mathematics
- Earth and Space Science
- Environmental Science
- Life Science
- Physics and Astronomy
Area III: Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Ethnic Studies
- Health, Kinesiology, and Recreation
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Urban Studies
Area IV: Creative Arts and Humanities
- Creative Arts
- Humanities: American Cultural Studies, Cross-cultural Studies, Asian Cultural Studies, European Cultural Studies, Cities Studies.
- Philosophy and Religion
- Ancient Mediterranean Civilizations
- California Studies
- Gender, Culture, and Representation
- Jewish Studies
- Multidisciplinary Ethnic Studies