ICCE Home Page >> Students - Working with Community Partners
Working with Community Partners
Click on image to see video and hear what some of our students interns have to say about their work with community partners:
Helpful hints on communicating with community partners:
1. Before you phone, know when you are available to work, and be prepared to introduce yourself. For example:
Hi, my name is __________. I am currently enrolled in a Community Service Learning course at San Francisco State University. I found your organization listed in the Institute for Civic and Community Engagement’s database, and I am very interested in volunteering some time to your cause. When can I meet with someone to discuss this further?
2. If you have to leave a message, do not assume that they can call you back right away, call again. If you leave a message, let them know when you will be available by phone and when you are available to meet with them.
3. Treat the initial meeting as a job interview; take your resume and create one if you don't have one.
4. What are deal breakers for you? This could be anything from the location of the organization, the hours they need you to work, or the type of work you would be doing. Our first priority is your safety. If you don't feel comfortable for any reason, save time and move on.
5. Student conduct is addressed when you create your student profile in ULink49. Basically, remember that you represent SF State and conduct yourself in a highly professional manner.
- Show respect for the organization you work for
- Treat everyone with courtesy and kindness
- Be flexible
- Please share the forms below with the supervisor at your community service site.
-Community Engagement Forms