Bonus Quick Facts
- Approval of Lump-Sum Bonus is subject to funding availability.
- No commitment should be made to an employee regarding a bonus payment prior to evaluation by Human Resources and authorization by the appropriate Cabinet-level officer.
- Discretionary bonuses are awarded at the behest of the President and are not grievable.
- There are several non-discretionary bonus programs (please see the Comp Program Chart).
- A non-exempt employee assigned temporary additional duties would normally be compensated through the authorization for and payment of overtime for all work performed in excess of 40 hours per week.
Purpose of Lump-Sum Bonus awards:
- To attract, reward and retain employees who make critical contributions to the mission of the University.
- To reward staff employee contributions that are above and beyond the duties regularly required of a position.
- Bonuses are not to be awarded for the following reasons:
- To recognize a permanent change in job duties (see IRP Guidelines)
- To recruit on-campus applicants.
- To reward performance or new assignments already recognized by an IRP or a reclassification.