Housing costs will vary depending upon the type of accommodation and meal plan you select. All payments begin with a $1600 Initial Payment; Part A is $800 and due at the time you submit your License Agreement, while Part B ($800) is due by August 1. The initial payment is credited toward your total charges and is not a deposit. You have the option of paying the remaining amount in eight payments scheduled September through April or you may pay as many payments as you like in advance. The first scheduled payment is due at the beginning of September. View the Fee Schedule to get an estimate of the payments for the academic year (pdf format, Adobe Acrobat required).
Housing payments may be made directly to the housing office or electronically through the University EPOS payment system. Housing residents can check their financial statement at MySFSU by using their University ID or by calling the Bursar’s Office at 415.338.1181.
You have a variety of options for making your payments:
- You may pay by credit card using EPOS, the University's secure third party vendor, via the Web. You can use your VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express charge card. Visit: Bursar Office website A convenience fee will apply for all electronic payment.
- You may pay by check, money order or cashier's check, made payable to SFSU. When paying this way, mail your check or money order to University Housing Office, Mary Ward Hall, 800 Font Boulevard, San Francisco, CA 94132 or deliver it with your payment to the Housing Business Office in Mary Ward Hall. Please include the Installment Payment Form.
- You may also pay in person at the University Bursar's Office located in the Administration Building or the Student Services Building on the ground floor.
Using Financial Aid for Housing: SF State University policy is to use grants, scholarships and loans to pay for tuition and fees first, and then apply any remaining funds to Housing obligations. If you move in to a Housing space AFTER Financial Aid funds are disbursed, you will receive the remainder directly via check or direct deposit, and will have to pay Housing yourself, using those funds.
If you have accepted enough financial aid to cover any portion of your Housing cost, the funds will be sent to your Housing account automatically. You are unable to opt to receive those funds directly and pay Housing in installments.
If your financial aid does not cover all of your Housing costs, you are automatically reverted to the installment payment system, and are expected to make installment payments beginning the first of the month in which you will have any balance due. You can see installment payment amounts on the Fee Payment Schedule. If you are not sure how much financial aid has been disbursed, you may check your past financial aid disbursement activity online at https://fabsweb.sfsu.edu/fabsweb/students/. You may also check your Financial Aid status using your SF State Gateway.
To avoid delays in financial aid disbursement, please make sure you have followed all of the required steps. You can refer to the SF State Financial Aid website and also review the information below:
- Direct Student Loan - If your financial aid award includes a federal direct loan, FIRST TIME BORROWERS must complete two steps:
- Federal Perkins Loan - 7 days after accepting the Federal Perkins Loan, go to: http://www.sfsu.edu/~finaid/newperkins.html
- Accepted Parent PLUS Loan - If your financial aid award includes the direct Parent loan http://www.sfsu.edu/~finaid/newplus.html, the parent must complete the three step process beginning July 1:
- Step 1: Complete the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form
- Step 2: Parent must apply online for the Parent PLUS loan https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action
- Step 3: If approved (parent or endorser) complete the Master Promissory Note (e-MPN).
- Denied Parent PLUS Loan - If parent loan is denied and the parent cannot secure an endorser, the student (not the parent) can request, in writing, additional federal direct unsubsidized loan through the Financial Aid office.