To Apply For Award Of A Graduate Degree, Graduate Students Must:
- Have an Advancement to Candidacy (ATC) on file with the Graduate Studies Office (ADM 250) prior to filing for award of degree.
- Complete and submit the items listed below to the GradStop Counter, or mail to:
Graduate Studies - ADM 250
SFSU 1600 Holloway Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94132.
- Application for Award of a Graduate Degree - available online.
- Application form signed by you and your advisor or department chair.
- Application fee of $100 (plus $5 if paid after deadline) by check or money order OR proof of payment online or at the Bursar's office.
Important Points Candidates Must Know When Applying For Graduation:
- All candidates' academic records are checked for conformance to their Advancement to Candidacy (ATC), for achievement of requirements stated in Title V of the California Code of Regulations, and compliance with University requirements as stated in the SFSU Bulletin.
- All course work required to make-up Incomplete (I) or Satisfactory Progress (SP) grades must be submitted to the instructor prior to the date of graduation. The official "Petition for Grade Change" and/or "Report of Make-up of Incomplete" must be on file in the Registrar's Office no later than two weeks after the date of graduation and must indicate that the work was completed prior to the last day of instruction (check the University Calendar). If official transcripts showing final grades are required from other institutions, they must be sent to the attention of the "Current Student Services Coordinator" in the Graduate Studies Office within three weeks after the last day of instruction.
- Notice of award of degree will be mailed within 90 days after grades have been posted, once official verification of completion of degree requirements has been concluded. Official transcripts showing award of degree may be requested from the Registrar's Office any time after receipt of the official notification of award of degree. Diplomas will be mailed approximately six months after graduation.
- If applying for a credential concurrently with a degree, obtain the credential application in BH 259. Questions regarding award of credentials should be directed to the Credential Office.
- As a result of filing for graduation, a student will not receive mail registration material as a Current student for next semester. If a student discovers that he/she will not be able to earn a degree in the semester he/she applied for graduation, and needs to enroll in the following semester for classes, the student must go to the Registrar's Office in SSB to request permission to enroll for the next semester.
- Students who are denied their graduate degree must re-file the Application for Graduation and pay another $100 fee to be considered for a subsequent semester.