Division of Graduate Studies

Image: Photos of SF State students taken from all the graduation events and activities and scenes from around the campus.

FAQs For Domestic Admissions


1. When will I know if I am admitted?

Each department has its own time line for reviewing applications and notifying students of their decisions. Some departments will review each file as soon as they receive it and notify the applicant of their decision right away. Other departments hold their decisions and notify all applicants at the same time. It is not uncommon for several months to pass before official admission letters from the Graduate Studies are sent. Check your Admission application status online.


2. Do I have to submit official transcripts from all the institutions I have attended?

Yes, transcripts are required from all the universities and colleges attended, including schools attended abroad. However, transcripts are not required for coursework completed at SFSU.


3. Can I defer my enrollment?

No, students may not defer their enrollment. If they do not enroll the semester that they are admitted, and they want to attend a subsequent semester, then they must re-apply. Students re-applying should check with their department to see if there are any specific requirements for re-applying.


4. What should I do if I want to enroll at the graduate level but do not want to enroll in a specific masters program?

In order to take classes at the graduate level for personal growth or to complete prerequisites without being admitted to a graduate program, students can enroll through the Open University program, which is administered through the College of Extended Learning. Enrolling through Open University is on a space available basis and does not qualify a student for financial aid. For more information: http://www.cel.sfsu.edu/openuniversity/


5. How can I check my application status?

You may call to check your status anytime at (415) 338-2234 or check on-line by going to: http://www.sfsu.edu/~gradstdy/admit/. You will need to provide your SFSU student ID number and a SF State Password. Your SFSU ID number will have been provided to you by email after you submitted an on-line application. The website gives first time users specific instructions for setting up a SF State Password.


6. If I have a green card, can I submit a domestic application form?

Yes, green card holders can use the domestic application form. Students who have a green card should submit a copy of their Alien Registration Card (or endorsed Form I-94) with their application.


7. If I am re-applying to SFSU, do I need to resubmit my transcripts?

Until further notice, applicants who have applied to SFSU before MUST submit official transcripts of all institutions attended, excluding SFSU. A new application form and processing fee will be required to re-apply.


8. Where can I get the schedule for classes?

Class schedules are no longer available on paper. All class schedules for every semester are now online. SFSU has computer labs on campus for access, including the 24 Hour Lab in the Library for your convenience. You can check the online class schedule at: http://www.sfsu.edu/schedule


California Residency


Why should I establish residency?

You should establish residency to take advantage of the lower registration fees that are charged to residents of California. In many cases you will reduce your education costs substantially.

Applicants younger than 19 years of age by the residence determination date (see below) must report parental information, as well as their own information, to verify California residence.

Applicants 19 years of age or older are eligible for resident status only if they have established and maintained permanent residence in California at least one year prior to the following Residency Determination deadlines:

Spring Semester - January 25
Summer Semester - June 1
Fall Semester - September 20


As a non-resident student, how do I qualify for California Resident Status?

To be eligible for resident status you must maintain a physical presence in California, show intent to make California your permanent home and/or maintain proper immigration status for one year prior to the Residency Determination deadline.

The following will be considered when your resident status is reviewed:

  • California driver's license for the prior year.
  • California voter registration.
  • California automobile registration.
  • California State income tax obligations on total income.
  • Ownership of residential property or continuous occupancy or renting of an apartment on a lease basis where your personal belongings are kept.
  • Active savings and/or checking accounts in a California bank for the prior year.
  • Immigration status with legal capacity to establish California residency.
  • Maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.
  • Military leave and earning statements showing California as legal residence for the prior year.
  • Financial independence from parents for the current year and for the three years prior to the current year.


How do I get my resident status reclassified?

If you wish to have your resident status reclassified, please submit the Residence Reclassification Request form and any appropriate supporting documents to the Division of Graduate Studies.


When should I submit a reclassification request?

Reclassification requests must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the first day of instruction. Requests submitted any later may be considered at the discretion of the Residency Coordinator.


Please note: Non-resident students will be responsible for non-resident tuition until the Division of Graduate Studies approves reclassification. Please see the Bulletin to learn more about the determination of resident status.

SF State Home