Division of Graduate Studies

Image: Photos of SF State students taken from all the graduation events and activities and scenes from around the campus.

FAQ's For Current Students

Where can I get the schedule for classes?

Class schedules are no longer available on paper. All class schedules for every semester are now online. SFSU has computer labs on campus for your convenience. You can check the online class schedule at: http://www.sfsu.edu/schedule.


When I applied to the Graduate Division, I turned in all my transcripts. Why do I have a registration hold due to missing transcripts?

Many students turn in partial or "in progress" transcripts when they apply to SFSU. We ask that you submit a final transcript once they become available. This is especially important if the institution is the one at which you earned your BA. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in a registration hold.


How do I check my ATC and Culminating Experience Proposal status?

In order to check the ATC and Culminating Experience Proposal status you must sign into MySFSU. For step by step instructions click here.


What forms do I need to file to earn my degree and graduate?

An "Application for Award of Degree" must be filed with the Division of Graduate Studies. Students who are completing their Culminating Experiences will need to submit either a "Receipt for Master's Thesis or Written Creative Work or a Receipt for Doctoral Dissertation" (for students taking 893,898, 998, or Music 894*) or a "Report of Completion" (for students taking 892, 894, 895). The "Report of Completion" may be obtained from your department office. You will receive a "Receipt for Master's Thesis or Written Creative Work or Receipt for Doctoral Dissertation" from GradStop (ADM 250) when you bring your thesis, dissertation or written creative work in for a formatting check. The Receipt must be verified at the Campus Copy Center (located in the Student Center, M110) when you submit your document and pay the binding fees. If you did not complete your Culminating Experience course in one semester, your committee chair will also need to file a change of grade form with the Registrar's office to change your grade from "Report in Progress" (RP) to "Credit" (CR).

* Students in Music Composition will need to file both the "Receipt for Master's Thesis or Written Creative Work" and the "Report of Completion".


I've completed all requirements for my program, how long will it take for my degree to be awarded?

The degree evaluation process is a lengthy one, involving the verification of satisfactory completion of all courses and the culminating experience project. Evaluations of degrees are usually completed within 90 days of when grades are posted. Students may also request a letter from the Division of Graduate Studies, stating that their degree is pending final evaluation.


When can I expect to receive my diploma in the mail?

Students who have been awarded their graduate degree can expect to receive their diploma in the mail approximately 4-6 months after the degree has been posted on their academic record.


How do I sign up for the Commencement Ceremony?

The following students are automatically listed to participate in the Commencement Ceremony in May:


  • Students who have earned their degree in the previous Fall or Summer semesters.
  • Students who apply for Spring graduation.
  • Students who apply for Summer graduation during the Spring application period.


Information packages will be sent out in April. You may also check to see if you are on the list by going to the following web site: http://www.sfsu.edu/commencement.


What if I need to get proof of my graduate degree before my diploma arrives?

After students have received confirmation that their graduate degree has been awarded, students may request a final transcript showing the degree conferred from the Registrar's Office 415/338-2079 or online at: https://www.sfsu.edu/~admisrec/forms/tr.htm.


SF State Home