There ar several reasons why a student's paycheck may have been placed on HOLD by Office Of Student Financial Aid.
- The most common reason is that the employer has hired a student and allowed the student to work without the student submitting the appropriate paper work to the employer. As stated previously, the Work-Study student must present a valid Work-Study Clearance Form to the employer which the employer completes and returns to OSFA. A Student Assistant must submit a valid EEV (Employment Eligibility Verification). All students must complete the I-9 (INS verification) in the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Another reason for a paycheck hold is when an employer submits a Clearance Form to OSFA indicating that they are paying the student from one reporting unit but records a different reporting unit number on the Attendance Report. OSFA must have a valid Clearance Form for each unit from which the student is being paid.
- A third reason why students do not receive a paycheck is that they or the employer did not submit the SPAR form to the Payroll Office. Employers should make sure the SPAR form and any other appointment documents have been submitted and received by the Payroll Office before the student begins work.
- International students paychecks are placed on HOLD when they have registered for units under a student number assigned by the Registrar's Office and their pay check is under their Social Security Number. As law requires that paychecks be issued under the Social Security Number, we encourage International Students to go to the Registrar's Office and request that all of their records be assigned their SSN. At this time OSFA does not have a mechanism for interfacing the two numbers.
- Lastly, a paycheck may be on HOLD because the student enrolled in less than half-time units or is not enrolled at all. Students who do not pay registration fees and who do not register for at least half-time units are not eligible to work. Students not meeting the unit or registration requirement must be terminated IMMEDIATELY.