Office of Student Financial Aid

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus


The Student Assistant program is an on-campus work program open to any student who is enrolled in at least half-time units through the regular university. Half-time for undergraduates is 6 units and 4 units for graduate students. Students enrolled in College of Extended Learning must be enrolled in 6 units.

Beginning Fall 2014, student workers in the Student Assistant Program will no longer be required to obtain an EEV form from the Office of Student Financial Aid.

All Student Assistant jobs are listed on the web site maintained by the Student Involvement and Career Center.

Students Searching for a job:

  • Go to
  • When you find jobs that you are interested in, apply as indicated. For more information about how to search or if you need assistance finding a job, visit the Student Involvement and Career Center in Student Services Building 206 or call 415-338-1761.

I-9 Compliance

Before you can be hired for a Student Assistant job, you need to complete the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) process. To complete the process, go to the Dean of Students office, SSB 403 during office hours. Two pieces of documentation are required:

  1. A photo identification that establishes identity. Acceptable documents are: a State-issued driver's license or a State-issued ID card with a photograph, U.S. Military card or a student photo identification card.

  2. Documents that establish employment eligibility. Acceptable documents are: original Social Security Card, a birth certificate bearing a seal or other certification, or an unexpired INS Employment Authorization. You may use any of the following documents to establish both identity and employment eligibility: U.S. passport, Certificate of United States Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization or Alien Registration Card with recent photograph.


The first day you can begin working is 5 business days prior to the first day of Instruction on the academic calendar. During the academic year, when classes are in session, you are limited to working 20 hours per week. If you have more than one job, the total number of hours per week for both jobs may not exceed 20. During school breaks, you can work up to 40 hours per week. Finals week is not considered a recess period, therefore you are still limited to working 20 hours per week. However, if you have completed all of your academic obligations prior to the end of Finals week, you may make arrangements with your employer to begin working extra hours. The final day a student can work during the Fall semester is the last scheduled final on the academic calendar. The final day a student can work during Spring semester is May 31. The final day a student who was given a less than half-time enrollment exception can work is the last day of instruction on the academic calendar.
Graduating Students can only work up to the last day of finals on that academic calendar.

Summer Employment

Breaks: You are entitled to take certain breaks during work shifts that exceed three hours. The supervisor determines when the breaks are to be taken.

4-5 Hour Shift: One 15 minute paid break

5-7 Hour Shift: One 15 minute paid break and one mandatory 30 minute unpaid meal break

8 Hour Shift: Two 15 minute paid breaks and one mandatory 30 minute unpaid meal break

SF State Home