CHECKING YOUR APP STATUS at SFSU
Check and Accept your Financial Aid on the SF Gateway
We will receive your 2016-2017 California Dream Applications and process these files. You can review your award on-line in late April. In the meantime.
- Check your application status at www.caldreamact.org. Once you sign in, click on the confirmation page link to ensure it was successfully submitted and no further action is required
- If you submitted the Non-SSN GPA verification form by the deadline, sign into WebGrants for Students at www.csac.ca.gov, create an account and check your Cal Grant status. Be sure the school you plan to attend is designated on this site.
- Check your SF State portal gateway.sfsu.edu regularly. Once we load your files, you will be able to see if there are any "holds", or "To Do List" item such as being required to verify your income or submit any additional documentation.
- Please be sure to check the SF State AB 540 website, especially California Dream Act at SF State link for more detailed information and updates. www.sfsu.edu/~finaid/ab540
Be aware that in order to receive any state funds through the CA Dream Act, you must have an approved AB540 exemption on file with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If you have not already filed a Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Affidavit with SF State, you should do it as soon as possible. You can access the affidavit at this link: www.sfsu.edu/~finaid/ab540
PLEASE NOTE: CA Dream Applications priority deadline was March 2 every year. If you missed the deadline, you will NOT be eligible to receive any state financial aid. However, you are may be eligible for private scholarships and should research these options on our AB 540 website.
VERIFY CA DREAM APPLICATION
On this page:
- Why your DREAM App information could be selected for verification
- What to do if you are selected
- File your federal income tax return early
- How to order a tax return transcript from the IRS
- NOTE: personal copies of tax returns are not accepted
What is verification?
Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on your CA Dream Application. We are required to make sure that all aid is awarded to students according to state regulations.
If your application is selected for verification
We will send you an e-mail that explains how to access your financial aid status on the SF State Gateway. Read the instructions that explain how to submit the required documentation.
- Check your e-mail and Gateway regularly
- Financial aid/AB 540 counselors will review all submitted documentation and will correct any discrepancies. Changes to CA Dream Application data are sent electronically to California Student Aid Commission.
- Your award amounts will be determined after we receive the corrected and verified CA Dream Application.
Information You May be Asked to Verify
You (and your parents) may be asked to submit documentation or clarification of information you provided on your CA Dream Application.
IRS Tax Transcripts
You (and your parents) may be required to order free of charge--tax transcripts from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Due to federal law, personal copies of tax returns are not accepted as verification of income. A tax return transcript is used to document -
- Taxable income
- Federal income tax paid
- Certain untaxed income and benefits received
Other information you may be asked to document:
- Income earned from work if you were not required to file a tax return - W2 forms
- Assets such as bank accounts, rental properties, value of a business or investment
- Untaxed income and benefits received
- Food stamp/SNAP benefits received
- Child support PAID
- Number of family members in the household
- Number of family members enrolled in college
- AB 540 status
- Any information needed to clarify your status and determine your aid eligibility
- Answer all questions. Read each form carefully and completely so you don't miss anything.
- Make sure you include the required documentation with signatures.
- Sign all forms and documents.
- Incomplete, inaccurate, or illegible responses will cause delay.
- Keep a copy for your records of everything you submit.
- Mail the required documents to our address included on all of our forms.
How to Return Completed Forms and Documents to Us
Required financial aid verification documents will be posted on your Gateway record. Download, complete, sign and submit. Follow the instructions on all forms and in your e-mail message.
SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION
Selective Service Registration Most males,18 to 25 years old must be registered with Selective Service to be eligible for state student aid. A Social Security number is not required. Undocumented students cannot register online through the California Dream Application or and must register by filling out and mailing a Selective Service postcard. These postcards are available at your local post office or on-line at www.caldreamact.org. Get a "proof of mailing" from the Post Office, which documents that you sent in your registration. Bring your certificate of mailing to the financial aid office, along with the Selective Service Verification Form for CA Dream Applicants to waive the for one semester. Once the Selective Service sends you verification of your registration, you need to bring a copy of the actual Selective Service Card to the Office of Student Financial Aid to waive your hold permanently. Please be sure to put your student ID on the proof you submit to the University.