Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship
The Dale M. Schoettler Scholarship for Visually Impaired Students was established in 1991 for San Francisco State and San Jose State University students to receive a quality education in pursuit of a professional career in business, humanities, arts, and the sciences. After Mr. Schoettler’s death in 2001, the California State University received a $4.8 million bequest from his estate to expand the existing financial aid program for visually impaired students to all 23 CSU campuses. Mr. Schoettler, who himself was blind, was a businessman from Mountain View, California.
Forty-Six (46) scholarships of $6,000 each will be awarded for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Applicants must currently have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale and must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale during the academic year in which the award is received.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled as a full-time equivalent CSU undergraduate or graduate student in any major field and must remain a full-time equivalent CSU student during the academic year in which the award is received.
- Applicants must be legally blind and provide verification from a physician.
Both the applications and the fact sheet of the scholarship are available online at the bottom of this page and as a printed version at the Disability Programs and Resource Center (SSB 110).
Completed applications must include the following:
- A Completed Scholarship Applicant Information Form (typed)
- Calculation of Unmet Financial Need (found at the bottom of the Applicant Information form). [To be verified by the Financial Aid office before submission to DPRC]
- A Written Verification of Full-Time Student Status (found at the bottom of the Applicant Information form). [To be verified by the Financial Aid office before submission to DPRC]
- Calculation of Grade Point Average (found at the bottom of the Applicant Information form). [To be verified by the Financial Aid office before submission to the DPRC]
- A completed Confirmation of Legal Blindness [To be completed by your physician, optometrist, or ophthalmologist before submission to the DPRC]
- A brief Personal Statement of the student describing his or her background, personal achievements, challenges encountered, educational pursuits, and goals and aspirations for the future.
- A completed Application Checklist [with initials from the Financial Aid office before submission to the DPRC]
Be sure to print out and complete both the Scholarship Applicant Information Form and the Application Checklist. Do not leave any line blank on the Applicant Information Form. If there is no information to provide, "N/A" should be used. The Confirmation of Legal Blindness also needs to be completed by your physician, optometrist, or ophthalmologist. Each item submitted with the application packet (i.e., "Personal Statement") should be clearly labeled.
A completed Scholarship Applicant Information Form and Application Checklist, along with the Personal Statement and Physician’s Verification of Legal Blindness, must be submitted to the DPRC by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 29, 2013. Mailed applications must be postmarked on or before March 29, 2013 and no e-mail or fax submissions will be accepted.
For more information, contact Todd Higgins, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415- 338-2472 (voice/TTY).