The Disability Programs and Resource Center

Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Complaint / Grievance Procedures

Every effort is put forth to ensure that students, faculty and staff with disabilities at San Francisco State University receive the services and accommodations to which they are entitled under federal law. Generally the campus community is sensitive to the need for accommodation. However, if an oversight to physical or programmatic access occurs at SF State, students and employees with disabilities have protection under Section 504 and the ADA. Students may file a complaint about University faculty, staff, administrators, or disability-related issues by following these procedures:

  1. Discuss the problem with a DPRC counselor. With permission of the student, the DPRC counselor will contact the faculty and/or staff on campus in an attempt to work out a solution to the problem.
  2. If the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, or if the issue is with the DPRC counselor, the student may meet with the Assistant Director for Student Services.
  3. A grievance that is not resolved to the student's satisfaction by the Assistant Director for Student Services may them be addressed to the Managing Director of the DPRC.
  4. When a grievance cannot be resolved informally as described above, students can pursue their claims under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To file a Section 504/ADA grievance, students should contact the Office of University Counsel, Administration Building, Room 562, (415) 338-2998.
  5. At any time students may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR). It is the DPRC's hope, however, that students will give the campus the chance to address their problems in a timely manner.

    Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Education
    50 Beale Street, Suite 7200
    San Francisco, CA 94105
    (415) 486-5555
    (415) 486-5570 Fax
    (877) 521-2172 TTY

Complaints may be made in person, by telephone, or in writing. The DPRC prefers to meet with students to discuss concerns and issues. DPRC counselors, the Assistant Director for Student Services and the Managing Director are available for appointments.

Further Information

For more information, contact Disability Programs and Resource Center at (415) 338-2472 (Voice/TTY),by email at, or on the web at Persons interested in visiting the office should come to the Student Services Building, Room 110.

SF State Home