Communicative Disorders Program Department of Special Education

Image: Photos of SF State students and scenes from around campus

Information for Graduating MS Students

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! As you prepare for this exciting time, make sure you complete all the steps necessary to obtain all the qualifications you've worked hard for, including: (a) M.S. degree, (b) ASHA certification, (c) state licensing, and (d) credential to practice in the public school setting. Review your clinical clock hours documentation and follow this guide to make sure you don't miss a single deadline.

Important Dates

There are some crucial deadlines for you to keep track of if you are graduating at the end of Spring or Summer 2014. These dates are also marked on the CD Calendar and on the Graduate Studies website (

  • February 17, 2014
    If you plan to graduate with an M.S. degree at the end of Spring or Summer, submit the Application for the Award of the Master of Science Degree (not credential) by this date You'll need a signature from a Faculty Advisor or the Department Chair (BH 156). Submit to the SFSU Grad Stop with fee payment (ADM 250, 415.338.2234, Check to make sure you also have an approved ATC/GAP on file.


  • February 21, 2014
    If you plan to graduate with an M.S. degree at the end of Fall 2014, submit completed Graduate Approved Program/Advancement to Candidacy Form — select Communication Disorders from pull down menu at:

    For students who have begun and who will complete a Master's Thesis instead of a Comprehensive Written Exam by the end of Fall 2014: Submit Proposal for Culminating Experience as an attachment to the ATC/GAP ( Also include an Unofficial Transcript and Evidence of WEP (Level I Writing Proficiency). If your thesis requires it, also include your Protocol for Human Subjects ( You'll need the signatures of your Thesis Committee Chair, 2nd Committe Member, and Department Chair (BH 156). Submit to the College of Education Graduate Coordinator (BH 240, 415.338.2389).


  • March 14, 2014
    Spring 2014 Graduates Mtg, Review information about ASHA and CA License paperwork and ePortfolio


  • April 18, 2014
    ePortfolios First Drafts DUE. (Faculty comments available by May 1. Revised Portfolios due May 9.)

    Comps & Thesis Reception hosted by NSSLHA.


  • May 16, 2014
    Completed ASHA & CA License paperwork DUE for all graduates. By Appointment
    For students doing a Master's Thesis who plan to graduate at the end of Fall 2013, you must submit your completed Master's thesis and Report of Completion (898) to Grad Stop, ADM Bldg, Room 250 (415.338.2234) for review by this date.

Meet with an Advisor

It's essential that you attend the scheduled advising meetings as you prepare for graduation. Check the CD Program Calendar for scheduled meetings and due dates throughout the semester to ensure that you meet deadlines and complete the necessary paperwork.

Graduate Approved Program (GAP) form

You must apply for Advancement to Candidacy (ATC)/Graduate Approved Program (GAP) no later than the semester before when you intend to graduate . You must download and fill out your GAP form on the computer. No handwritten materials are accepted by the university. (Read the full instructions here.)

In the semester of your graduation, you must confirm that your Graduate Approved Program Form (GAP) has been approved. You can check the status of your application at MySFSU.

Enrolling in your Culminating Experience is your final step toward completing your degree. Once you enroll in your Culminating Experience course, you are expected to complete your degree within two semesters. (Download & read the university policy on Culminating Experience and Continuous Enrollment.)

Proposal for Culminating Experience

If you take the Comprehensive Exam as your culminating experience, the Proposal for Culiminating Experience Form will be submitted on your behalf by the CD Program faculty if you have completed your CD Program culminating requirements (Comps, Master's thesis, etc.) once you pass the exam.

If you take the thesis option, please submit the Proposal for Culminating Experience by the dealine listed one semester before when you plan to submit your thesis.

Application for Award of a Graduate Degree

The Application for the Award of a Graduate Degree is available at the SFSU Graduate Division, Administration Building, 2nd floor. There is a fee of $100. You must apply to earn your degree. Note that an approved GAP and Culminating Experience Form must be on file with the Division of Graduate Studies.

College of Education Exit Survey

An online exit survey is required by the College of Education. If you take the Master's Comprehensive Exam, you will also complete your exit survey on the same day. The surveys are forwarded to the SFSU Graduate Division by the CD faculty.

Meet with a Credential Advisor

You need to make an appointment with your credential advisor in the Credentials Office re: completion of the necessary paperwork for the Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential.

The Credentials Office is in Burk Hall 244. You can contact them at 415-405-3594 or

Submit Your Graduation ePortfolio

The Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) and the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC) require graduate programs to conduct both formative and summative assessments, which are comprehensive evaluations of learning outcomes throughout a student's course of study and a culminating evaluation at the end of his/her program. The graduation portfolio is an important formative and summative assessment tool in the CD Program. More information about the CD ePortfolio can be found at

Praxis Exam for Certification and Licensure

The development of the exams is commissioned by ASHA and facilitated by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). It is a requirement for ASHA certification and California Licensing. A minimum score of 600 is required for passing.

Paperwork for ASHA Certification

Detailed instructions for how to apply for ASHA certification can be found on the ASHA website. It prepares you to start your Clinical Fellowship. The things you will need to complete include:
1. The Application Form
2. The Dues and Fees Schedule Form
3. The graduation (long) KASA Form (Set your printer to "landscape" or "sideways" view before printing)
4. The SLP Clinical Fellowship Report and Rating Form
5. Approval of your ePortfolio

Paperwork for California Licensure

Detailed instructions for how to apply for California Licensure for SLP can be found on website of the Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board (SLPAB) of the California Department of Consumer Affairs. It prepares you to begin your Required Professional Experience (RPE), a mentored employment period parallel to what ASHA refers to as a Clinical Fellowship. The things you will need to complete include:

  1. A passing score on the Praxis Exam. Registration and other information about the Praxis can be found at
  2. The Application Packet for RPE (download as doc or pdf) (Updated 7/21/14)
  3. A Report of Clinical Practicum Form (download as doc or pdf) (Updated 7/21/14)

Submit your Paperwork for ASHA Certification and CA Licensure to the CD Program Director

Submit your Paperwork for ASHA Certification and CA Licensure to the CD Program Director, Dr. Nancy Robinson, to sign. You may pick up the signed forms or leave a self-addressed, stamped envelope for us to mail your paperwork to you. Keep a copy of all signed paperwork in your personal records.

Get Tickets for the CD Graduation Ceremony

It is a tradition in the CD Program that NSSLHA hosts a graduation ceremony every year exclusively for CD Undergraduate & Graduate Students. All students are welcome to participate in the planning. Contact NSSLHA to order your tickets for you and your loved ones.

SF State Home