July 14-July 31
To promote exchange between the youth of the US and China, and help participants have a better understanding of the Chinese language and culture, thus to stimulate their interest in learning Chinese.
30 participants from the SF Bay Area (including students and teachers, T:S ratio: 1:9-10, to be selected by Confucius Institute)
Organizers: Hanban and Confucius Institute at SF State
Supporter: Provincial Department of Education
|July 14 (Tuesday)||Depart San Francisco|
|July 15 (Wednesday)||Arrive in Beijing|
July 17 (Friday) ~
July 30 (Thursday)
|Attend the opening ceremony and related programs in Beijing and then transfer to school bases for Chinese international promotion in one province for Chinese language instruction.|
|July 31 (Friday)||Get to Beijing and then return to San Francisco|
During the program, students will study Chinese language and culture (Paper-cut, calligraphy, brush painting, tea ceremony, martial arts, and etc.) in traditional classrooms, and participate in various sports and cultural activities (friendship basketball match, international students get-together, and exchanges with host family, etc.); they will also visit various historic, cultural, and scenic spots. The curriculum and activity plans will be developed by schools and the provincial department of education, with full consideration of advice from the Confucius Institute and with approval from Hanban.
A. Student applicants
(1) Currently enrolled in credited public/private high schools
(2) U.S. Citizenship
(3) Without any Chinese learning background or learning Chinese for less than 3 years (including all Chinese beginners and students in Chinese I, II & III)
(4) With excellent academic record, and be interested in Chinese language and culture.
(5) Physically capable of international traveling.
B. Group teacher applicants
(1) K-12 teaching experiences, better be Chinese teachers.
(2) Experiences in student management.
(3) Previous experience of living/staying in China (not traveling) and understanding of China today.
(4) Love teaching; being responsible and compatible.
(5) Outstanding communication skills and adaptive capacity.
(6) Physical capability of international traveling.
Group teachers are expected to fulfill the following duties:
(1) Help Confucius Institute with pre-departure orientation.
(2) Escort students to all courses and other activities.
(3) Coordinate with Hanban and host schools to supervise the safety and security of students, taking primary management responsibilities.
(4) Take care of students; help students physically and psychologically adapt to the new environment. Provide guidance to student behavior.
(5) In case of emergency, such as student illness or loss of passport, keep close contact with Confucius Institute, Hanban, and host school staff, as well as accompany the students for medical treatment and so on.
(6) After summer camp, collect the feedbacks towards the program from attended students. Submit a summary report and recommendations for improvement to Confucius Institute and Hanban.
A. Student applicants should submit their application materials to Confucius Institute before March 14, 2009, including
(1) Application Form
(2) Three passport photos
(3) A personal application statement
(4) A recommendation letter from your school teacher, and
(5) A non-refundable application fee of $100 payable to: CI at SF State.
B. Teacher applicants should submit their application materials to Confucius Institute before March 14, 2009, including
(1) Application Form
(3) A recommendation letter from your school principal
(4) Three passport photos
(1) Students and teachers are responsible for their round-trip international airfare, international travel insurance, and visa fees.
(2) Hanban will cover in-China expenses on room and board, transportation, activities and sightseeing for students and teachers.
To help you obtain your visa, please send (1) a completed Chinese Visa Application Form, (2) passport, and (3) $150 visa and handling fee payable to "Confucius Institute at SF State" before May 1, 2009. Your passport with visa will be returned to you by certified mail.
If you would like CISFSU to help book group tickets, you'd better complete and turn in all required application materials before the deadline. We'd like to recommend the following airlines and the schedule. We will try to book group tickets although it is not guaranteed. If we reserve tickets now, we may get special price about $1,000-$1,300.
|A||July 14, Tuesday||UA889||11:15am||Depart SF|
|July 15, Wed||2:40pm||Arrive in Beijing|
|(Hanban will provide whole-day airport pick-up)|
|B||July 31, Friday||UA888||12:00pm||Depart Beijing|
|July 31, Friday||8:42am||Arrive in SF|
Ms. Yaqi Liu, Program Coordinator
Tel: (415)338-7631 (415)405-2868
All the required application documents must be turned in to Confucius Institute at SF State office before March 14, 2009. If by mailing, please mail these items together as a package to us at:
Confucius Institute at SF State
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave., Burk Hall 325
San Francisco, CA 94132
Attn: 2009 Summer Camp for US High School Students