Bulletin--Financial Aid Program Highlights


Federal Pell Grant Program

The Federal Pell Grant Program is a federal aid program for undergraduate students with financial need. Grants range from $400 to $2,300 for the year. Although generally awarded to students enrolled full-time, Pell Grant awards are adjusted for students who are enrolled on a 1/2 or 3/4 time basis. Students eligible for a Pell Grant will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) directly from the FAFSA processor. Students must submit all pages of the SAR to the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG) is a federal program which provides aid to undergraduate students of exceptional financial need. Annual awards at SFSU range from $100 to $1,000.

State University Grant

The State University Grant is a grant for students who are California residents, who pay state resident fees, and who have financial need. This grant is awarded to undergraduates and graduates in amounts based on their need and on the amount of resident fees they are required to pay. Annual awards for 1993-94 range from $168 to $1,440.

Educational Opportunity Program Grants (EOP)

The Educational Opportunity Program Grants (EOP) are grants provided by the State of California for undergraduate students admitted to the university through the Educational Opportunity Program. EOP students must have financial need to receive these grants. Awards range from $100 to $1,000 for the academic year, depending on the availability of funds and the need of the student.

Associated Student Grants

The Associated Student Grants are awards from the Associated Students at SFSU to help students with financial need. The award for 1993-94 is $98.

California Student Aid Commission

The California Student Aid Commission awards grants to students who are California residents. For new applicants, the deadline is March 2. In addition to the FAFSA, a grade point verification form must be submitted to the commission by the March 2 deadline. More information about the grants discussed below can be provided by high school counselors, financial aid offices, and the California Student Aid Commission at P.O. Box 510845, Sacramento, CA 94245-0845, (916) 445-0880.

Graduate Equity Fellowships

The Graduate Equity Fellowships provide assistance and recognition to selected underrepresented graduate students entering the first year of their master's degree program. Grants may range up to $1,500. A fellowship applicant must be a member of an underrepresented group. General information is available from the Graduate Division, ADM 254.

CSU Scholarship for California Hispanic Students

CSU Scholarship for California Hispanic Students are provided by The California State University with support from the National Hispanic Scholarship Fund. Awards are given to first-year hispanic students based on need and high academic achievement.

CSU Scholarship for Black Students

CSU Scholarship for Black Students provide $1,000 awards to first-year African American students based on financial need.

Alan Pattee Scholarship

Children of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees, who were California residents and who were killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties, are not charged fees or tuition of any kind at any California State University campus, according to the Alan Pattee Scholarship Act, Education Code Section 68121. Students qualifying for these benefits are known as Alan Pattee scholars. For further information, contact the Financial Aid Office, which determines eligibility.

University Administered Scholarships

University Administered Scholarships are awarded generally to continuing students based on academic achievement and financial need. A separate application is required for scholarships directly administered through the Office of Student Financial Aid. Some academic departments on campus also have university scholarships. Students should check with the college or department office about other scholarship opportunities.

Outside Scholarships

The Office of Student Financial Aid has limited information on outside scholarships. Students are encouraged to contact organizations such as Marin Educational Foundation, parent-teacher groups, community service organizations, employers, etc. for scholarship information. Reference desks in university and public libraries also provide scholarship resource materials.

Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan is a federal program providing long-term, low interest loans to both undergraduate and graduate students. Awards to students at SFSU depend upon the availability of funds and generally range from $200 to $2,500 per academic year. Interest of 5% begins nine months from the date the borrower is no longer enrolled at least half-time. Repayment, at a minimum rate of $90 quarterly, begins three months after interest starts to accrue. Information regarding deferments, cancellations, and repayment provisions is provided on the loan promissory note and during the entrance interview, required for all first-time borrowers at SFSU.

Federal Stafford Student Loans

The Federal Stafford Student Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students. Students submit loan applications certified by the Office of Student Financial Aid to participating banks, credit unions, and other lending institutions outside of the university. For students with financial need, the federal government pays the interest on the student loan while the student is in school.

To apply for a Stafford Student Loan, the student completes the FAFSA. Additionally, the student completes and submits to the Financial Aid Office a Stafford Student Loan Application. First-time borrowers at SFSU must attend an entrance interview.

Loan maximums are $2,625 per year for first year undergraduate students, $3,500 for second year undergraduate students, and $5,500 per year for third, fourth, and fifth year undergraduate and credential students ($23,000 total for all loans). The loan maximum for classified graduate students is $8,500 per year for five years ($65,500 total, including undergraduate loans). Unclassified graduates are not eligible for these loans or any other type of financial aid.

Repayment of the loan begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws, or is enrolled as less than a half-time student. The interest rate is variable from 7% to 9%, depending upon when a student first borrows a Stafford Student Loan. Repayment may be deferred for special circumstances that are approved by the lender.

Unsubsidized Federal Student Loans

Unsubsidized Federal Student Loans are available to students who do not have financial need. The family's contribution is not used to determine how much a student can borrow. The terms, conditions, and maximums are the same as for the regular Stafford Student Loan, with the exception that the interest due the lender is not paid by the federal government while the student is in school. The student must pay the interest or request that the accrued interest be added to the loan amount. Students must first apply for a regular, or subsidized, Stafford Student Loan.

Federal Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS) and Parent Loans (PLUS)

Federal Supplemental Loans for Students (SLS) and Parent Loans (PLUS) provide loans through banks and other participating lending institutions. Financial need is not a factor in determining a student's or parent's eligibility for either of these loan programs. The interest rate is variable, from 9% to 12%. Parents are eligible to borrow a PLUS loan on behalf of dependent students. Graduate, professional, credential, and independent undergraduate students borrow under the SLS loan program. Interest begins to accrue when the loan is disbursed. Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is disbursed. SLS loan maximums are $4,000 for students who have not yet completed the first and second year of their programs. For students who have successfully completed the second year of their programs, the maximum is $5,000. The loan limit for Parent Loans is equal to the student's budget less financial aid awarded. Students must first apply for a regular, or subsidized, Stafford Student Loan and must meet the general eligibility requirements for federal student aid. Separate applications for the SLS and PLUS loan programs are available from the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Short-Term Loans

Short-Term Loans are available for a maximum of $300 on a 30-day repayment basis. The purpose of the short-term loan is to help students with unanticipated expenses which are school-related. Students may pick up an application in the Student Financial Services Office, ADM 351.

Federal College Work-Study Program

The Federal College Work-Study Program provides employment opportunities to both graduate and undergraduate students with financial need. College Work-Study positions are available both on-campus and off-campus with certified non-profit agencies. Students may work a maximum of twenty hours per week. The salary scale ranges from $5.96 to $10.76 per hour. A College Work-Study award is not a cash award like a loan or a grant. To use a Work-Study award a student must find a Work-Study job with a certified Work-Study employer; then the student will receive a monthly paycheck. It is recommended that students seek employment as early as possible because jobs are limited and a Work-Study award is not a guarantee of employment.


Students should call, write, or visit the Office of Student Financial Aid if they have questions or for individual help.

Office hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday—8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.; Wednesday—1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Financial aid staff assist students on the telephone and at the front counter of the office. For more involved questions or issues, financial aid counselors are available for counseling students on a drop-in basis. Drop-in counseling hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday—9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

The telephone number is (415) 338-1581.

Table of Financial Aid Deadlines
Bulletin 1994-96 Table of Contents, SFSU Home Page

last modified August 9, 1995

SFSU Home   Search   Need Help?  

1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1111

Last modified July 13, 2012 by bulletin@sfsu.edu