Applicants are required to include their correct social security numbers in designated places on applications for admission pursuant to the authority contained in Section 41201, Title 5, California Code of Regulations, and Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6109). The university uses the social security number to identify students and their records including identification for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the University. to file information returns that include the student's social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. This information is used by the IRS to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes. The SSN is also required by the Franchise Tax Board for collection of returned checks.

SFSU Identification Number

For other records and services, the University. uses an assigned identification number (SFSU ID). Students are required to write their SFSU ID on university petitions and forms as well as personal checks submitted for any payment to the University. Payment by personal check is consent by the student for the University. to write the student's SFSU ID on the check if it is not referenced. See the SFSU ID Policy on the web at

Students who have forgotten or do not know their SFSU ID can look on the web at


Newly Admitted

Students who have never enrolled at San Francisco State University in a fall or spring semester and who have been admitted to the University. for a specific semester, or students who have previously attended San Francisco State University and are returning to begin a new degree objective (e.g., a new graduate student who received a B.A. from SF State) are considered newly admitted.


Students who were previously enrolled at SF State in a regular semester and who have not been absent from the University for more than one complete semester, excluding summer semester, are considered continuing students. Note: Students enrolled at another college or university during their absence through an authorized special program, or have been granted a leave of absence, are considered continuing students.

Per immigration regulations, foreign students are required to be continuously enrolled every semester. Undergraduates must carry a minimum of twelve units and graduate students must carry a minimum of eight units.

In order to be considered in attendance for any semester, the student must be reported as enrolled in at least one class on the 20th day of instruction in the fall and spring semesters and the 10th day of instruction in each session of summer semester.


Students who have been absent from San Francisco State University for two full semesters (excluding Summer and Winter Sessions), or who have attended another college or university during their absence, must have applied and been readmitted to the University by the undergraduate or graduate Admissions Office.


The class level of students is determined according to units completed (earned units) as follows:

Class Level Units Completed
Lower Division:
Freshmen 0-29
Sophomore 30-59
Upper Division:
Junior 60-89
Senior 90 or more
Holding a baccalaureate or master's degree from an accredited university or college.


This university and the State of California are very supportive of individuals completing course work for degrees, credentials, and certificates offered by the University, as well as for professional growth, and for personal enrichment within reasonable limits. With the limitation of physical and personnel resources available, the University reserves the right to limit, or terminate, the enrollment of any individual it feels has been fairly served by educational opportunities at this institution or elsewhere, and where the enrollment needs of other individuals must be given higher priority in the context of the resources available.


The associate vice president of enrollment management reviews the records of students who have earned sufficient units of credit to graduate, but have not applied for graduation. When the student has met all requirements for graduation, the associate vice president, after conference with the student, may take the necessary action to have the student graduated. In those cases where the requirements for graduation can be completed in one additional semester, the associate vice president, after conference with the student, the appropriate department chair, and either the dean of Undergraduate Studies or the dean of Graduate Studies, may notify the student that he has only one additional semester in which to complete the graduation requirements. If graduation requirements are not completed in the time designated, future registration in the University may not be permitted or may be subject to conditions mutually agreed upon by the student and the associate vice president of enrollment planning and management.


Unless otherwise stated in the course descriptions in the current SF State Bulletin, courses may not be repeated for additional units of credit.

An undergraduate student who has received a grade of C or higher may not repeat a course unless the course is described in the Bulletin as repeatable for credit. When an undergraduate student chooses to repeat a course in which the grade was F, WU, or IC, all units attempted and all grade points will be included in the student's cumulative totals. (Units earned toward graduation include courses receiving passing grades only.) When an undergraduate student chooses to repeat a course in which the grade was passing, all units attempted and all grade points earned will be used in the calculation of the student's grade point average, but the units earned will be applied to the calculation of total units earned only once.

A student cannot repeat a course that has a grade of I (Incomplete) unless the I grade has been converted to a grade. (Variable topic courses are excluded only when topics vary.)

An undergraduate student cannot repeat any courses once they have repeated 24 units of SF State units, unless the course is described in the Bulletin as repeatable for credit. Note: courses repeated as a result of a student withdrawing from a full semester of coursework do not count towards the 24-unit limit on course repeats.

Exceptions to this policy require the consent of the department chair in which the course is offered and the college dean of that college.

Once a bachelor's degree has been granted, repeating courses for any reason (as a visitor, post-baccalaureate, or Open University student) will not affect the GPA or content of the degree already granted.


Registration for all students is on Gator Reg over the web: Notices are sent via e-mail to all eligible students to view assigned Gator Reg appointment day and time and to check for any holds. Please refer to the Registrar’s Office web site for specific dates and details. Gator Reg at San Francisco State is divided into distinct time periods as outlined below:

Early Priority Registration (Continuing Students only): Early Registration is available in Fall and Spring semesters but not Summer. Continuing eligible students are assigned a priority day and time and may register in up to 8 units during Early Registration. All holds must be cleared before access is granted. Students may add their name to a Waiting List during this period if all seats in a class are taken. After Early Registration ends, changes are not allowed until Final Priority Registration begins. Students are not officially enrolled in classes until all fees have been paid. Students are informed of fee payment deadlines at Students who do not pay their fees by the published deadline are automatically dropped from all classes. During fall registration, students pay fees after Early Priority Registration and before Final Priority Registration. During spring registration, students pay fees before Early Priority Registration.

Orientation (New Students only): Newly admitted First time Freshmen and undergraduate transfer students register for their classes on the day they attend Orientation. All holds must be cleared and all fees paid in order to add classes. Transfer students may enroll in up to 8 units at Orientation and can add additional units during Final Priority Registration.

Final Priority Registration (New and Continuing Students): All eligible continuing students and newly admitted students are assigned a priority registration day and time to enroll in classes. Fees must be paid and all holds cleared before students are allowed to add classes. Eligible undergraduate students, excluding students on Academic Probation, may add up to 19 units; graduate students may add up to 16 units. Student may also add their name to a Waiting List if a class is full and space is available on the Wait List. If space becomes available, students on a Waiting List may be automatically added to a class.

Open Registration: After Priority Registration ends, Open Registration begins for adding and dropping of classes on Gator Reg until the first day of instruction.

Adding Courses after Instruction Begins: If the student has paid sufficient fees and has instructor approval, he/she may add courses via Gator Reg with instructor assigned permit numbers during the first two weeks of the semester.

Dropping Courses after Instruction Begins: The student must use the Gator Reg system to drop individual classes until the published drop deadline. After that point, he/she may withdraw from a course or courses only for serious and compelling reasons. Petitions for withdrawal are available at the One Stop Student Services Center and must be signed by the instructor and department chair. (College dean approval is required if withdrawal is in the last three weeks of the semester.)

Enrollment Verification: A student may verify his/her enrollment via Gator Reg on the web at or by phone , 415-338-7000. A notice to check enrollment is sent via e-mail at the end of the second week of the semester.


A student who wishes to audit a course instead of enrolling for credit must apply to and be admitted by the University. Enrollment as an auditor is subject to permission of the instructor provided that enrollment in a course as an auditor shall be permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so. Auditors are subject to the same fee structure as credit students and regular class attendance is expected. Once enrolled as an auditor, a student may not change to credit status unless such a change is requested no later than the last day to add classes. A student who is enrolled for credit may not change to audit after the second week of instruction.

Any student admitted to a class as an auditor will not be permitted to obtain credit by examination for that class. A student registered as an auditor may be required to participate in any or all classroom activities at the discretion of the instructor.


The normal academic load for undergraduates is fifteen units per semester. For graduates, the normal load is from nine to twelve units per semester. Two hours of preparation for each hour of regular class work should be expected. For international students, immigration regulations require a minimum academic load of twelve units for undergraduates and eight units for graduates.

Verification for enrollment is calculated as follows:

Fall, Spring and Summer Semesters are calculated as follows:

Full Time 12 - 19 units
Half Time 6 - 11 units
Less than Half Time 1 - 5 units
Full Time 12 units or 8 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)
Half Time 6 units or 4 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)
Less than Half Time 1 - 5 units or 1 - 3 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)

Financial Aid: All students requesting and accepting financial aid through San Francisco State University must register for and complete twelve or more semester units as an undergraduate and eight or more upper division or graduate-level semester units as a graduate. Some financial aid programs allow a reduced unit requirement. Additional information may be obtained from Financial Aid.

Students who wish to enroll in extension work with this University. and/or to enroll in courses at other institutions at the same time as they are registered for courses at this university, should plan the combined program with their major adviser. Under no circumstances is the total unit load for all course registrations in all institutions being attended to exceed the maximum unit load restrictions for this institution without written approval in advance from either the dean of Undergraduate Studies or the dean of Graduate Studies. Failure to obtain such approval in advance will subject the student to possible loss of units taken here and/or a restriction of units for transfer from the other institutions.

Academic Load for Veterans and Dependents of Veterans is calculated as follows:

Fall and Spring Semesters – Veterans Academic Load

Full Time 12 or more
Three-quarter Time 9 – 11 units
Half Time 6 - 8 units
Less than Half Time 1 - 5 units
Full Time 9 units or 8 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)
Three-quarter Time 7 units or 6 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)
Half Time 5 units or 4 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)
Less than Half Time 1 - 4 units or 1 – 3 units of all upper division or graduate level courses (300 level or above)

NOTE: For purposes of Veterans and Dependents of Veterans Educational Benefits for graduate students, each upper division and graduate level course (courses numbered 300 and above) is worth 1.5 units. Each lower division course (courses numbered 100-299) is worth 1 unit.

Summer Semester – Veterans Academic Load

Undergraduates and Graduates – R1 AND R3 SESSIONS (Five week sessions)
Full Time 4 units
Three-quarter Time 3 units
Half Time 2 units
Less than Half Time 1 unit
Undergraduates and Graduates – R2 SESSION (Eight week session)
Full Time 6 units
Three-quarter Time 4 - 5 units
Half Time 3 units
Less than Half Time 1 - 2 units

Note: For purposes of Veterans and Dependents of Veterans Educational Benefits for graduate students, each upper division and graduate level course (courses numbered 300 and above) is worth 1.5 units. Each lower division course (courses numbered 100-299) is worth 1 unit.

Veterans and Dependents of Veterans: In planning programs, students should observe Veterans Administration regulations concerning minimum academic loads. For certification under the Veterans Readjustment Benefits Act of 1966 (Public Law 89-358), undergraduates must register for and complete twelve or more semester units of credit to receive maximum benefits. Graduate students must register for and complete eight or more upper division or graduate-level semester units of credit each term to receive maximum benefits. If graduate students register for any lower division courses, they must register for and complete nine or more semester units to receive maximum benefits. Additional information may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.


Students are expected to attend classes regularly because classroom work is one of the necessary and important means of learning and of attaining the educational objectives of the institution.

Students should not miss classes except for valid reasons, such as illness, accidents, or participation in officially approved university activities. When a student is absent from classes, it is his/her responsibility to inform his/her instructors of the reason for the absence and to arrange to make up missed assignments and class work insofar as this is possible.

Instructors make reasonable accommodation for students to observe religious holidays when such observances require students to be absent from class activities. The policy is available at It is the responsibility of the student to inform the instructor, in writing, about such holidays during the first two weeks of the class each semester. If such holidays occur during the first two weeks of the semester, the student must notify the instructor, in writing, at least three days before the date that he/she will be absent.

The instructor may consider regular attendance when assigning grades. In that case, the requirement for regular attendance must be stated in writing as part of the course requirements and distributed to students at the beginning of the semester.


Continuing students who have been officially admitted to, and who are actively pursuing, a degree and/or credential program may qualify to absent themselves from enrollment in the institution for periods up to two academic years and still maintain the option of continuing student status. As a consequence of a leave of absence, it is expected that a student will improve his/her ability to complete the degree program. A petition for the leave must clearly demonstrate that during the absence from the University. the student will be doing something significantly relevant to his/her program. Requests for health, financial, or other personal reasons, or matriculation at another institution are not recognized for the purpose of granting a leave of absence. In the latter instances, students would need to reapply for admission when they are ready to resume their studies in the University. Undergraduate students should contact the One Stop Student Services Center for more information.

To be eligible for an educational leave of absence, a graduate student must: (a) be a U.S. citizen or resident alien (foreign students ineligible); (b) have been officially admitted to a master's and/or credential program offered by the University.; (c) have an Advancement to Candidacy (ATC) on file in the Division of Graduate Studies office or Credential Approved Program (CAP) on file in the Credentials Office in the College of Education; (d) be in good academic standing; and (e) have completed acceptable course work (at least nine units) toward the identified objective prior to the effective date of the leave. Such a planned academic leave does not change the beginning or ending dates of the seven-year completion of degree requirements for master's degree candidates. For further information contact the Division of Graduate Studies office.



Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the University.'s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term. Students who withdraw during the first four weeks of instruction are not considered enrolled for the current semester. Students who do not enroll for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer) must apply for readmission to the University. Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from the registrar, One Stop Student Services Center, 415-338-2350.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Office of Student Financial Aid prior to withdrawing from the University. regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.


During the first two weeks of instruction, dropping a course(s) is permitted without restriction or academic penalty. No symbol is recorded on the student’s permanent record. The procedure for dropping a course during this period is described in detail by the Registrar’s Office. At SF State, dropping a course is the student’s responsibility. However, faculty are authorized to instructor-drop students who do not attend the first class meeting or do not meet the course criteria. Faculty are strongly encouraged to instructor-drop all students who are not attending class before the end of the drop period.

After the first two weeks but before the thirteenth week of instruction, withdrawal from a course is permissible, only for serious and compelling reasons, by consulting the instructor and obtaining the approval of the instructor, department chair/program director, and college dean. The student should submit the appropriate petition and supporting documents (including unofficial transcripts) to the instructor. The instructor will review, approve or deny, and sign the petition. If the withdrawal is approved, the student will submit the signed petition to the department or college office for review. If the student has previously withdrawn from the same course two times, the petition will be denied. Undergraduate students may withdraw from no more than 18 semester-units of courses taken in matriculated status at SF State. This limit does not apply to coursework completed via self-support enrollment, withdrawals approved prior to Fall 2009, or withdrawals permitted after the twelfth week of instruction (see below). The petition will be denied if approval would result in an undergraduate student exceeding the withdrawal limit. Should the instructor be unavailable despite the student’s best effort to meet with him/her, the withdrawal request may be reviewed and determined by the department chair/program director in which the course is given.

Withdrawals are not permitted after the twelfth week of instruction except in cases, such as accident or serious illness, where the cause of withdrawal is due to circumstances clearly beyond the student's control and the assignment of an Incomplete grade is not practicable. Under these circumstances, a student may elect to withdraw from a course or from the university. The procedure to withdraw from a course under these circumstances is as described above, except that such requests must also be approved by the Board of Appeals and Review (BOAR). Requests for permission to withdraw from the university under these circumstances are submitted by the student directly to the Registrar for review by BOAR. Course withdrawals resulting from these requests will not count against the 18-unit withdrawal limit.

The student may receive a grade of ‘W,’ which will appear on his/her permanent record. However, a ‘W’ grade shall not be counted toward the student’s GPA. The student may appeal an instructor, chair/director, or dean’s denial of a withdrawal request to the Board of Appeals and Review (BOAR).

The symbol "W" indicates that the student was permitted to withdraw from the course after the second week of instruction with the approval of the instructor and appropriate campus officials. It carries no connotation of quality of student performance and is not used in calculating grade point average or progress points.


A student may withdraw completely from the University. for serious and compelling reasons or in verified cases of accident or serious illness. All requests for withdrawal or retroactive withdrawal from the University. must be submitted and justified in writing to the registrar.


Official transcripts of courses taken at the University. are issued only with the written permission of the student concerned. Partial transcripts are not issued. A fee of $4.00 for a single transcript must be received before the request can be processed. Additional transcripts prepared at the same time up to ten (10) transcripts are $2.00 each. Additional transcripts prepared at the same time which exceed the first ten (10) transcripts cost $1.00 each.

Transcripts show all San Francisco State University work completed as of the date of application for the transcript. Work in progress accompanies the transcript only if specifically requested by the student on the application for transcript form. Requests for transcripts to show end of current semester's work are held until all grades are recorded.

Transcript requests are processed in accordance with the date of filing.

Transcripts from other institutions, which have been presented for admission or evaluation, become a part of the student's permanent academic file and are not returned or copied for distribution. Students desiring transcripts covering work attempted elsewhere should request them from the appropriate institutions.

SFSU Home   Search   Need Help?  

1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1111

Last modified July 06, 2012 by