1. Apply for Admission to the University
    1. Receive from and file an application to the Graduate Division.
    2. Obtain a university Bulletin from the SFSU Bookstore or view it online.
    3. Review the Bulletin for university requirements and to determine if there are supplemental departmental admission and application requirements.
    4. Contact the department and submit any additional materials requested.
    5. Consult the major department regarding any test scores (e.g., GMAT, GRE, etc.) that may be required.
  2. Attain Classified Graduate Standing
    1. If a student is admitted with unclassified or credential status only, he/she must request consideration for classified status. This consideration is initiated by filing a Request for Advancement to Classified Graduate or Credential Standing form with the Registrar's Office.
    2. If a student is admitted with conditionally classified status and has fulfilled the conditions specified, submission of the GAP form to the Graduate Division will signify that all prerequisite requirements have been met.
  3. Submit a Graduate Approved Program (GAP)
    1. GAP forms should be obtained from the Graduate Division and filled out in consultation with the adviser and submitted to the Graduate Division for approval.
    2. Any deviation from the specific master's degree requirements listed in the university Bulletin must be requested by filing a Petition for Substitution or Exception form.
    3. Upon approval of the GAP, the student will be advanced to candidacy for the master's degree.
    4. After the GAP has been approved, changes may be made by filing a Petition for GAP Substitution or Exception form in the Graduate Division.
  4. Meet the Culminating Experience Requirement
    1. Review and follow guidelines in the Bulletin for filing the Proposal for Culminating Experience Requirement form.
      The student should not plan to register for any required culminating experience course, or begin any research related thereto, unless (1) he/she is in good academic standing with a cumulative 3.0 or higher grade point average on the GAP program and all course work taken at this university; and (2) he/she has filed the form in (a) above and satisfied any human or animal subject requirements applicable to the particular research.
    2. The types of culminating experiences required vary from program to program and so do the procedures for reporting their completion; therefore, reference should be made to the university Bulletin and/or the major adviser to ascertain that this is done properly and within the time period allowed.
  5. File an Application for Award of the Master's Degree
    1. Graduation is not automatic upon completion of degree requirements. The Application for Graduation is filed in the Graduate Division, after the appropriate fee is paid to the Cashier's Office. The application must be filed by the deadline date (published in the Class Schedule and Bulletin) in the term in which the student expects to graduate.
    2. If the student does not graduate in the term for which he/she applied, he/she must reapply in a subsequent term in which he/she expects to graduate.

SFSU Home   Search   Need Help?  

1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132 (415) 338-1111

Last modified July 05, 2012 by