Health Insurance: How to Show Proof
Medical care in the U.S. can be very expensive. F-1 and J-1 visa status students must have health insurance during the entire semester.
Choose one of the choices below to complete this requirement before the start of the semester.
Choice 1: California State University (CSU) health insurance plan.
The CSU (California State University) sponsored health insurance plan meets ALI’s requirements. The insurance plan is offered by Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company, through Aetna Student Health Insurance Company.
You can buy this plan online: CSU Healthlink
- Click ‘Enroll Now’
- Select ‘San Francisco State University’
- Scroll down and enroll in the ‘2014-2015 San Francisco State University - ALI’ plan for the summer . The cost is $405.76.
Aetna Student Health Insurance Company will tell ALI when you buy the plan.
Choice 2: Another health insurance plan.
Your insurance plan must have ALL of these insurance requirements:
- Policy must be in English
- Coverage must be valid during the entire semester
- Medical benefits of at least $250,000 for each accident or illness
- Minimum 75% co-insurance for each accident or illness
- No capped benefits
- Maximum deductible of $100 per condition per policy year
- Maximum out of pocket expenses less than $2,500 per year
- No pre-existing conditions “wait period”
- Full cost of medical repatriation or evacuation
- Full cost of repatriation of remains
If you choose choice #2, you must give ALI a copy of your plan’s Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC) OR ask your insurance company to complete an affidavit verifying that your plan has all of the requirements listed above. The affidavit can be found below. The SBC or affidavit can be sent to the ALI by fax, mail, or email.
Medical Evacuation/Repatriation & Repatriation of Remains
Some insurance plans do not cover medical evacuation and repatriation. If your insurance plan does not have this coverage, you can buy Aetna Student Health Insurance Company’s Emergency Assistance Services (given by On Call International) at a reasonable cost. You can buy the service online: CSU Healthlink
Health Insurance Links/Forms:
These PDF forms require Adobe Reader.