How to Apply
The American Language Institute can accept only a limited number of students for each session. Students are enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, students should apply as early as possible.
The ALI provides a certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status for students who wish to apply for student visas in their home country. All applicants must be graduates of a recognized high school or secondary school and must be 18 years of age or older. The program is primarily designed for serious, academically motivated students preparing for university study in the United States.
- Complete the Online Application for the American Language Institute
Complete the Paper Application for the American Language Institute (PDF)
(These forms require Adobe Reader.)
- Application fee of $50 and tuition deposit of $200. Total of $250 payable to: SF State - CEL/ALI.
- An official bank letter:
- In English
- Less than twelve months old
- On bank letterhead/stationery
- A minimum of US $34,500
- Signed by a bank official
- FAX or email attachments are acceptable
Sponsor's letter of financial support:
- Sponsor signature
- A statement saying sponsor will support you during your studies at ALI
- The sponsor letter is only required of students whose financial support comes from a sponsor.
- Express Mail Service (optional). If you would like your admission letter and Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Student Status to be sent by express mail (DHL or FedEx), please follow these instructions. Otherwise, we will send all documents by air mail.
- Applicants who want a "Letter of Conditional Eligibility" for admission to San Francisco State University must:
- Fill out this form: Apply to San Francisco State University (PDF).
(This form requires Adobe Reader.)
- Undergraduate Students: original certified English language translations of their high school grades and diploma and records of any college or university work completed in their country.
- Graduate Students: original certified English language translations of their university grades and evidence of award of degree. Graduate students must also gain departmental admission to graduate programs, and must contact the individual departments to find out if there are additional admissions requirements for specific programs.
- Send an SF State conditional eligibility service fee of US $60 payable to "SF State."
American Language Institute
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, California 94132